Joe's Crab Shack

There are newer employer reviews for Joe's Crab Shack

how is this job like ?

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY
Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Joe's Crab Shack full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good amount of money for managers

Cons

too much work. bad fellow employees

125 Other Employee Reviews for Joe's Crab Shack (View Most Recent)

A thorough review from a former Host

I worked at Joe's Crab Shack

Pros

-It's a nice place for a first job.

-The environment of Joe's can be very fun and energetic. There were some shifts in which I felt like I was actually partying.

-Flexible scheduling, but be warned that you will almost always have to work on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays

-Hotschedules, the website employees use to view/change schedules, is very efficient

-Managers are almost always willing to answer questions and concerns

-Tips on To-Go orders can be pretty good

-While there were some bad co-workers, I can honestly say that I enjoyed working with majority of my coworkers. Most coworkers I worked with were passionate about their job and were always willing to help out.

-dress policy is very relaxed.

Cons

-Poor training

-The hours fluctuate. If you open, especially if you're a host, you can find yourself only working for 3-4 hours. If you close, you can find yourself working very long and grueling hours without a break. The Joe's I worked at closed at midnight and I would often leave out the building at 1 a.m (one time I didn't leave until 2am). This may be something you want to consider if you're a student.

-At my particular Joe's the hosts were understaffed which made requesting days or swapping schedules incredibly difficult. This also made the job itself stressful since there were often only one or two hosts working at a time.

-No bussers or janitors. If you're a host you will not only be seating/greeting but you will also be a table busser, a janitor (bathroom cleaning), a mini-maintenance person, and even a mini-manager. This can be incredibly stressful on busy nights when managers expect for you to keep a table rotation, bus tables, clean bathrooms, keep the restaurant clean, find servers to pick up tables, manage a wait list or reservation list, sell retail, take To-go orders, and answer phone calls.

-If you're a host be prepared for some servers to freak out and yell/curse at you if they get double sat (which WILL happen) or, in some cases, if they get sat in general. There also seems to be favoritism of servers over hosts with managers. It appears that managers do not tell servers that while Hosts operate off rotation, customers are allowed to sit anywhere they like.

-Some managers weren't mentally capable of being managers. Having a rush, dealing with a server ringing in the wrong order, or the kitchen being backed up is no excuse to yell or chew out your employees; mistakes and stressful situations happen.

-As a host you HAVE to open the door for a customer. Be prepared to get possibly chewed out if you were 30 feet from the door and didn't open it because a customer walked in too fast.

-You are constantly pressured into selling retail items

-Hire more hosts. Overworking three or four hosts is a bad and ineffective way of dealing with an industry that is as fast and demanding as the restaurant industry. It is also unfair to deny days off or tell a host to find someone to pickup a shift when there is only three or four hosts to do so with.

-Hosts are not your ant workers; it is incredibly demeaning and discouraging when the only communication between you and a host are orders and complaints. There are some lazy hosts, but there are also some hard working ones as well. It's very discouraging when you've been bussing tables, spot cleaning, taking To-Go orders, seating tables; and you get yelled at because you haven't checked bathrooms in the past 30 minutes.

-The policy on ALWAYS opening the door for the customer can be implausible at times. If anything, breaking your neck to open the door comes across as creepy and uncomfortable. Unless you're willing to hire enough hosts so that there can always be one by the door, there is no need for this policy. I implore the company to change this awful policy.

-Mistakes happen. When an employee makes a mistake, explain to them how to prevent it and move on.

-Lastly, Joe's crab shack is not our life. We're all willing to exercise the tenets of P.R.I.D.E but we also have lives outside of our job.

Worst job I've ever had.

Former Employee - Line Cook in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Line Cook in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Joe's Crab Shack full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The food was decent, menu wasn't overly complex, the facility was quite nice.

Cons

Standing inside a cooler for 9 hours straight with no lunch breaks, management lacked communication. Workers were fired for being injured on the job.

Treat your employees better.

There are newer employer reviews for Joe's Crab Shack