Server

Former Employee - Server in Lawrenceville, NJ
Former Employee - Server in Lawrenceville, NJ

I worked at Joe's Crab Shack part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The money here is great, you don't make an actual salary but because it has a higher ppm you can make great tips. it is a very fun atmosphere, and while at times you'll feel a little foolish with the dancing, you'll make friends there at all ages and will have fun doing it together. I did not use the health insurance offered, but Joe's does offer benefits for its employees and meal plans which is great. My managers personally were great, and I feel like this is a common theme in this chain. The food here is fresh and the kitchen is clean, and this is a place I was proud to work for.

Cons

Can be difficult scheduling work, you do have to work a lot of hours and on weekends, and it can be a very stressful atmosphere when it's busy.

Other Employee Reviews for Joe's Crab Shack

1. BEST PLACE TO LEARN HIGH VOLUME SERVICE AS A CHAIN, I HAVE WORKED AT 4 DIFFERENT LOCATIONS!!!

Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Westminster, CO
    Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Westminster, CO

I have been working at Joe's Crab Shack part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is an awesome place to work at. I have work off and on at different locations across the nation. The management at every location is stellar with coaching for how to sell, what it means if you sell more=more money for you, and drive you to succeed with weekly and monthly sales contest.

Cons

Other than smelling like crab at the end of the night non out of the ordinary for any service industry job

Advice to Management

Continue promoting success based on numbers.

2. Good pay for servers in a relaxed restaurant environment

Current Employee - Server
    Current Employee - Server

I have been working at Joe's Crab Shack part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Tips are good in comparison to other casual restaurants. You get to wear a t-shirt and jeans to work. Generally attracts easy-going employees making the work environment much more enjoyable than most. Patrons are typically lively and in a good mood.

Cons

Management picks a select few of servers to be "openers and closers". This means that this small group of individuals always get the best shifts, largest table sections, and is responsible for checking out other servers for end-of-shift duties. For locations with dining patios, servers who are scheduled in a patio section are highly reliant on weather conditions. During summer it was typical for a server to wait 2 hours to either be sat or sent home.

Advice to Management

Overall the restaurant is well run. The only suggestion would be to deter floor supervisors from giving special treatment to their friends while working (i.e. always cutting their friend's section first on a slow night, allowing them to skip out on concept).