John Casablancas Modeling and Career Centers

www.jcasablancas.com
  www.jcasablancas.com
There are newer employer reviews for John Casablancas Modeling and Career Centers

Enjoyed the opportunities and exposure, BUT...

Former Employee - Admissions Representative/Instructor in Philadelphia, PA
Former Employee - Admissions Representative/Instructor in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at John Casablancas Modeling and Career Centers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun job, great opportunity to meet people from all walks of life, including some local celebrities. Enjoyed regional traveling.
Watching people's/kids confidence and self esteem grow during the classes.
I enjoyed the job and the atmosphere at the school, just not the sales tactic ploys.

Cons

High pressure to sell their courses in "modeling" and "acting" - The purpose of the "Model searches" were for getting people (and/or their kids) to sign up for expensive classes regardless of whether one had any potential or not. This is a school, not a modeling agencies. The "jobs" they tell you about are mostly non-paying jobs at local shopping malls. I never got paid money for the modeling jobs I did, but sometimes got to keep an outfit I modeled. Having said that, I took the classes before teaching them (which was my only credential for teaching them) and found them to be fun and informative. I enjoyed watching the self-confidence that developed in the students. I was more upfront with parents/would be clients than most of the "sales" people by telling them the likelihood or unlikelihood of whether they or their kid(s) could make it in modeling, but presented the benefits of taking the classes regardless, especially in building their self awareness, confidence, building poise and posture, learning about fashion and makeup, etc. Although upper management would not have approved of my candor with people, I was able to make quite a few "sales" for the school with the approach I took. There was a high pressure to sell the classes and we were expected to say whatever it took to get people/parents to sign up. If the center was not up to the franchise owners expectation by the end of the month or quarter, the director would sometimes take over your interview to try to close it if she thought you might not. Or if we were having trouble closing a sale with a "difficult" customer, we were told to bring in the director and she would use her position and say whatever it took to convince the customer to sign a contract. But often, those people ended up cancelling and we didn't actually end up with the sale anyway. But at least it looked good on her initial report to the owners. I had a real problem with that and some of the techniques we were asked to use to close a sale and eventually left even though I enjoyed working there. The hours are not all that convenient unless you like to sleep in --- 1 to 9 PM weekdays and you were expected to work weekends, and travel for modeling searches that were not held at the school or nearby. The pay was okay. You got a commission for the classes you were able to sell. You made more for every modeling course you sold, less for the acting classes, so there was more pressure to sell the modeling courses. I supplemented my income there by teaching a few classes on the weekends.

Would be nice if they encouraged their employees to be more honest with potential customers instead of misleading many of them in order to close a sale. I was not a top earner, but did pretty well by being more honest. At least the people I signed were angry or disillussioned like those who did to to close a sale. I worked for them back in the 1990's and from what I read online, things have not changed.

6 Other Employee Reviews for John Casablancas Modeling and Career Centers (View Most Recent)

Great Environment

Current Employee - Instructor in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Instructor in Memphis, TN

I have been working at John Casablancas Modeling and Career Centers part-time

Pros

Excellent Environment
    Students excel after training

Cons

No benefits for part-time employees

Former Model and Actor

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rocky Hill, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rocky Hill, CT

I have been working at John Casablancas Modeling and Career Centers part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Allows personal development of models and actors

Cons

Brings every individual just to take money from individuals even though they know that the individual could never be successful.
    Provides few jobs.
    The employees make unethical decisions because they are money (commission driven)
    information sometimes is lost between the companies hiring the model or actor and the agent, which makes the model or actor seem unprepared when they are at the job.
    Will sign the model or actor for a job without telling them what is required of it (hours)
    The owner does not recognize that the individuals that work for how (MOB SQUAD) have a life outside of the agency. Therefore she constantly calls the MOB SQUAD members to schedule times until they say yes.
    Does not treat workers with respect at all times.

Begin to make decisions that are ethically driven, which will allow a better relationship with individuals.
    make sure that the information provided is exactly what the casting agent has given you.
    be straight froward with what a job entailed before the model accepts it.
    Recognize MOB SQUAD is not your personal on call workers.