Good benefits, less opportunities on IT career, IT management incompetent to deliver results.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Johnston, IA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Johnston, IA

I have been working at John Deere

Pros

Flexible time, good work-life balance programs, HR trying hard to keep employees happy, generous benefits, interesting work if you are left to do without playing organization politics.

Cons

Nepotism; extremely suspicious working environment (always have to be watchful what you say or what you do), rat-race among younger generation who could win to top by back-stabbing or latching to someone socially important and middle to mid-senior management either simply ignoring it or watching the show with silent approval. Serious lack of moral strength on managers' part. Performance management is eyewash. Beware of hostile attitude of some when you are newly inducted, which may ease out over period of time, if you could survive. Depending on groups, you may encounter fervor of religious beliefs more publicly shared than a workplace should allow. Complaining is a culture, actions taken based on only if the supervisor gets complaints, so the back-stabbing continues.

To the business managers - IT is an enabler for your business. If you do not look into what is going on now, you will soon lose all talented people to the outside world and will be left with people who are either serious workethics challenged or only waiting for the retirement. Afterall, benefits are somewhat excellent you must know.
Overall management – Do not wait for someone to complain to HR to take steps to improve, do proactive organizational soul searching.

Other Reviews for John Deere

Outstanding company, great career opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dubuque, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dubuque, IA

I have been working at John Deere

Pros

John Deere really values it's employees. A lot of companies pay lip service to the employees being their greatest asset, but Deere walks the walk. Employee retention is phenomenal; almost nobody leaves.

Advancement opportunities are almost endless. Many positions become available all of the time making it very easy to move around and advance within the company.

Tuition reimbursement program is fantastic. $15k/year for graduate school.

Cons

Schedules can get hectic. 45-50 hour work weeks are not uncommon.

People at Deere do not value work experience outside of Deere as highly as they do work experience at Deere.

Keep growing the company! You're doing a great job with the global movement, but I feel we're still behind the Caterpillar's of the world. We have a lot of ground to make up outside of North America.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Machinist  in  Moline, IL
    Current Employee - Machinist in Moline, IL

I have been working at John Deere

Pros

Benefits are great. Pay is decent

Cons

To many hours sometimes, and long

Understand my job is a big part of my life but it's not my whole life

There are newer employer reviews for John Deere.

Worked for John Deere? Contribute to the Community!