John Q. Hammons

www.jqhhotels.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for John Q. Hammons

Rigid expectations

I have been working at John Q. Hammons full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great hotel design and product, fair compensation for the job

Cons

No room for thinking outside box, focus on minutia and reports
High turnover of personnel hurts continuity

53 Other Employee Reviews for John Q. Hammons (View Most Recent)

No benefits, bad hiring decisions, high turn-over

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at John Q. Hammons full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You get pretty significant discounts on rooms at various hotels and some of them are very nice. Starting pay is pretty good. Fairly laid back management which can also be a con. Several opportunities for advancement. There are a few very good employees that have stuck around for a while but would happily leave if offered something better because they don't feel valued.

Cons

While there is opportunity for advancement they often make bad hiring decisions and often times the employees they hire quit within the first 30 days. It is hard to get off time and the employees tend to no-call no-show with no repercussions. The benefits are a joke. You have to work for the company for a year to qualify for insurance and the insurance you get is simply a "discount plan." You still pay $100 to go to the doctor and get a slight discount on prescriptions. After two years you can get real insurance but it's still costly and even more expensive if you're a smoker. Every year they do a survey to see if employees are happy and how they feel about the property as well as any problems however; they don't make any changes and things seem to get worse instead of better. There's been a freeze on raises for years. There is a significant lack of training in every department.

Show the employees that are doing well that you care and you notice them. Get rid of the people that aren't invested because they're causing the veteran employees to feel as though they shouldn't care about the business anymore. Stop hiring people from outside the property to do management positions and instead promote those within. Stop throwing people into the jobs and actually train them.

Step up from other Franchises

Former Employee - Assistant Front Office Manager in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Assistant Front Office Manager in Tulsa, OK

I worked at John Q. Hammons full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- More organized and well run that other franchises (but not as owned hotels - Marriott owned, Hilton owned, etc)
    - Nice properties
    - Many properties in Midwest and most are large so many opportunities if you like that area (centralized in Missouri)
    - Respectable among franchises

Cons

- No Holiday pay
    - Too much paperwork (and that is coming from someone that has been an accountant). As a manager if you aren't organized and disciplined with it you can spend days catching up and organizing when audit comes due (and in my case I inherited the mess from previous managers). As a front desk agent you have to complete paperwork for too many transactions - charges that are adjusted or transfered, paid outs, any charges made to the room manually such as valet, late checkout, dry cleaning - everything. This also makes night audit very lengthy in auditing charges and collecting paperwork.
    - Pay: large hotel and one of the biggest and best in the area. All housekeeping earned minimum wage and everybody else just slightly above that. Wage freeze (no raises) for several years. (may be different regionally)

I think the little things go a long way with associates. Pay for holidays - pay for employee appreciation such as outings or parties.

With management make sure training is provided. At our property we had a ton of first time management and there was no training, expectations, or orientation. A fellow manager was sent to a training class because she was viewed as incompetent but I had the same position and was not sent because I appeared competent. I would have appreciated the training as well. And she wasn't sent until about 5 months after she was promoted and already caused a ton of damage to employee morale and guest satisfaction scores. As a first time manager I would have appreciated more training, coaching, and counseling as opposed to hearing completely new things once I reached my performance evaluations.

There are newer employer reviews for John Q. Hammons