Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

www.jhuapl.edu
  www.jhuapl.edu
There are newer employer reviews for Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

Making Critical Contributions to National Security

Current Employee - Associate Professional Staff I  in  Laurel, MD
Current Employee - Associate Professional Staff I in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are a lot of smart people trying to make good contributions to national security. I have been involved in some really fun projects that have been implemented and made an improvement to the sponsors that we have worked with.

Cons

Management in some departments do not have a clear direction or good answers for their sponsors.

125 Other Employee Reviews for Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (View Most Recent)

Great place to work (although a bit bureaucratic)

Current Employee - Systems Engineer (Associate Staff)  in  Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer (Associate Staff) in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible work hours, Good benefits, nice retirement plan, very nice work environment, not for profit, technical workers have a lot of flexibility in projects

Cons

Promotions are largely based on "time in grade." Not uncommon to hear "You haven't even been hear 5 years -- what do you know?" Very large and bureaucratic -- so change takes a while.

Focus more on listening to all people involved in projects (APL, vendors, Gov't) -- work on creating more of a "We keep everyone honest" mentality as opposed to a "Listen to us because we're awesome" culture.

APL was a great place to learn technical skills and get knee deep in real world applicable work!

Current Employee - Technical Aide  in  Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Technical Aide in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great people that are all very knowledgable in their fields.
    Great pay for interns.
    Real World work to be done, they trust you to do whats necessary even with little experience.

Cons

Conflicts between what sponsor wants and what is best for the systems etc.
    Some not so social people invested in their work.
    Good amount of bureaucracy involved in things.

Keep doing what you do!

Worked for Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory? Contribute to the Community!