Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

www.jhuapl.edu
Engaged Employer
There are newer employer reviews for Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

Overall very good experience

Current Employee - Senior Staff II in Columbia, MD
Current Employee - Senior Staff II in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good environment for scientists and engineers. Good benefits. Good educational facilities to pursue further degrees.

Cons

Large increase in layers of management: has to some degree adversely affected technical excellence the laboratory has been known for.

Advice to Management

Reduce management, and focus on technical excellence and innovation.

Other Employee Reviews for Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

1. APL summer internship

Former Intern - Intern in Columbia, MD
    Former Intern - Intern in Columbia, MD

I worked at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I got a lot of experience testing electronics. I learned about the research industry. The work actually seemed important. I was able to apply skills I learned in school and got to learn a lot of new skills and use a lot of equipment that I would normally never even see.

Cons

I was either extremely busy or had no work to do for periods of a couple days. There are lots of meetings and conversations that you need security clearance to hear about. I know other interns who worked on projects without knowing what they were actually working on.

Advice to Management

Make sure there is enough work for interns to do.

Making Critical Contributions to National Security

Current Employee - Associate Professional Staff I in Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Associate Professional Staff I in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of smart people trying to make good contributions to national security. I have been involved in some really fun projects that have been implemented and made an improvement to the sponsors that we have worked with.

Cons

Management in some departments do not have a clear direction or good answers for their sponsors.

Work at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory? Share Your Experiences

Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory