Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

www.jhuapl.edu
  www.jhuapl.edu
There are newer employer reviews for Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

Overall very good experience

Current Employee - Senior Staff II in Columbia, MD
Current Employee - Senior Staff II in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good environment for scientists and engineers. Good benefits. Good educational facilities to pursue further degrees.

Cons

Large increase in layers of management: has to some degree adversely affected technical excellence the laboratory has been known for.

Reduce management, and focus on technical excellence and innovation.

133 Other Employee Reviews for Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (View Most Recent)

Good Work Environment

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Very laid back, relaxing environment.
    -Great boss who had a vested interest in my success
    -Luncheons and other events to network and connect with senior employees.

Cons

Very few..

But had a friend who put in 5 years and was fired shortly after a bad automobile accident. Seemed a bit insensitive but business is business, right?

Create more channels for low level workers - sometimes doing most of the work - to give feedback/direct reports that influence the direction of the project.

APL summer internship

Former Employee - Intern in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Intern in Columbia, MD

I worked at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I got a lot of experience testing electronics. I learned about the research industry. The work actually seemed important. I was able to apply skills I learned in school and got to learn a lot of new skills and use a lot of equipment that I would normally never even see.

Cons

I was either extremely busy or had no work to do for periods of a couple days. There are lots of meetings and conversations that you need security clearance to hear about. I know other interns who worked on projects without knowing what they were actually working on.

Make sure there is enough work for interns to do.

Work at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory? Share Your Experiences

Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory