Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

www.jhuapl.edu
Engaged Employer
There are newer employer reviews for Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

Good Work Environment

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Laurel, MD
Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Very laid back, relaxing environment.
-Great boss who had a vested interest in my success
-Luncheons and other events to network and connect with senior employees.

Cons

Very few..

But had a friend who put in 5 years and was fired shortly after a bad automobile accident. Seemed a bit insensitive but business is business, right?

Create more channels for low level workers - sometimes doing most of the work - to give feedback/direct reports that influence the direction of the project.

reviews filtered by
  1. APL summer internship

Former Intern - Intern in Columbia, MD
    Former Intern - Intern in Columbia, MD

I worked at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I got a lot of experience testing electronics. I learned about the research industry. The work actually seemed important. I was able to apply skills I learned in school and got to learn a lot of new skills and use a lot of equipment that I would normally never even see.

Cons

I was either extremely busy or had no work to do for periods of a couple days. There are lots of meetings and conversations that you need security clearance to hear about. I know other interns who worked on projects without knowing what they were actually working on.

Make sure there is enough work for interns to do.

Making Critical Contributions to National Security

Current Employee - Associate Professional Staff I in Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Associate Professional Staff I in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of smart people trying to make good contributions to national security. I have been involved in some really fun projects that have been implemented and made an improvement to the sponsors that we have worked with.

Cons

Management in some departments do not have a clear direction or good answers for their sponsors.

Work at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory? Share Your Experiences

Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory