Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
www.jhuapl.edu Laurel, MD 1000 to 5000 Employees

A great company that encourages your technical growth

Associate Professional Staff I (Current Employee)
Laurel, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time for more than a year

Pros- Overall interesting work that can be very flexible when you're newly hired. If you don't like your current projects, your supervisors will try to work out a way to change to something that fits your interests.
- Almost everyone is friendly, good-natured, and fun to be around.
- There is a JHU satellite campus right on site where you can take courses for free after work.
- Job security. They don't seem to fire anyone so you don't need to become paranoid about every little detail.
- Flexible work hours
- Above-average salary

Cons- Technical collaboration is not encouraged across the lab. You could be on a project where it's just you in front of the computer for many months.
- The quality of the project managers varies. You could have a really excellent one who is receptive and intelligent, or one who's more obtuse and difficult to get along with, and the latter can make you pretty unhappy for long periods of time.
- A little too top heavy. Too many people working on papers and powerpoint presentations and not enough doing modeling, simulation, and prototyping.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your eye out for inept project managers who can undermine their workers by making technical decisions for them when it's not their expertise.
Have white boards in the halls, encourage more technical collaboration and transparent discussion of what projects need to succeed.

Summer Intern

Intern (Current Employee)
Laurel, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory as an intern for more than 3 years

Pros: The work was challenging, the pay was great, and the people were kind and helpful. They were… Cons: The work wasn't a good fit for me. I prefer projects with measurable progress, while the projects I worked on here were all very… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Highly motivated employees and great benefits.

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
Laurel, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: - APL encourages creativity/innovation through various internal projects that all staff are encouraged to contribute to. - Good benefits - Gym, matching 403b (after the first… Cons: - Very little oversight for new employees. This was my first job out of college and had a rough time with my tasks and expectations… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory.

Worked for Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory CEO Dr. Ralph Semmel. All reviews posted anonymously by Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory employees.