Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

www.jhuapl.edu
Engaged Employer
Add Review
There are newer employer reviews for Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

A great company that encourages your technical growth

Current Employee - Associate Professional Staff I in Laurel, MD
Current Employee - Associate Professional Staff I in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Overall interesting work that can be very flexible when you're newly hired. If you don't like your current projects, your supervisors will try to work out a way to change to something that fits your interests.
- Almost everyone is friendly, good-natured, and fun to be around.
- There is a JHU satellite campus right on site where you can take courses for free after work.
- Job security. They don't seem to fire anyone so you don't need to become paranoid about every little detail.
- Flexible work hours
- Above-average salary

Cons

- Technical collaboration is not encouraged across the lab. You could be on a project where it's just you in front of the computer for many months.
- The quality of the project managers varies. You could have a really excellent one who is receptive and intelligent, or one who's more obtuse and difficult to get along with, and the latter can make you pretty unhappy for long periods of time.
- A little too top heavy. Too many people working on papers and powerpoint presentations and not enough doing modeling, simulation, and prototyping.

Advice to Management

Keep your eye out for inept project managers who can undermine their workers by making technical decisions for them when it's not their expertise.
Have white boards in the halls, encourage more technical collaboration and transparent discussion of what projects need to succeed.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Summer Intern

Current Intern - Intern in Laurel, MD
    Current Intern - Intern in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory as an intern (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work was challenging, the pay was great, and the people were kind and helpful. They were not short on work they needed me to do, so I never found myself bored and looking for work.

Cons

The work wasn't a good fit for me. I prefer projects with measurable progress, while the projects I worked on here were all very long-term (i.e. 10+ years). Also, all of my work was in a computer-lab, where you can't see the light of day, so it was a little depressing.

Highly motivated employees and great benefits.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- APL encourages creativity/innovation through various internal projects that all staff are encouraged to contribute to.
    - Good benefits - Gym, matching 403b (after the first year), vacation + sick leave, health, dental, vision (limited), life insurance, etc.
    - Continued education and training is HIGHLY encouraged and paid for. There is a great Masters program for those who want to work full time and get a MS.
    - Great work environment. Everyone is friendly and respects each other.

Cons

- Very little oversight for new employees. This was my first job out of college and had a rough time with my tasks and expectations with very little direction.
    - Politics - I tend to stay out of politics when I can, but many of APL's sponsors are Government related, which can make things difficult.

Work at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory? Share Your Experiences

Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory