Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

www.jhuapl.edu
  www.jhuapl.edu
There are newer employer reviews for Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

A stable place with a great variety of technical work

Current Employee - Senior Professional Staff I in Laurel, MD
Current Employee - Senior Professional Staff I in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I feel very stable here, and I sleep well knowing that if my current project isn't a good fit, it's very likely I can find something that fits my needs and future goals. Technical employees are encouraged, but not forced, to take on leadership and management roles. Recently, APL has pushed for more innovation by providing actual funding for ideas and building a "maker space" lab to help build more of an innovation-oriented community. Job stability is very high.

Cons

As with any large company, you have to put up with irritating policies: for example, buying software, even the smallest productivity-enhancing tool, takes way more effort and time than you'd expect (government regulations, apparently?). Your computer will feel like it's four years old even when it's fresh out-of-the-box because of the security-related stuff on it - fine if you're a PowerPoint jockey, but terrible if you need to do anything that requires more horsepower.

Continue to trust your scientists technical people and keep up the innovation efforts.

142 Other Employee Reviews for Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (View Most Recent)

Good place for older Software Engineers who want to stay technical

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

- lots of opportunities are provided to keep learning and apply new technology

- innovation and collaboration are encouraged

- experience is valued and achievement is recognized

- highly ethical work environment is provided, age discrimination is not tolerated

- good pay, good benefits, nice offices, lots of flexibility in work arrangements

Cons

- can be an impersonal and bureaucratic workplace, depending on the group

- sponsors often require strict program oversight which leads to tedious planning, tracking, and reporting requirements

JHU APL offers good benefits with moderate pay

Current Employee - Senior Professional Staff II in Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Professional Staff II in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good Benefits. Culturally diverse. Good location between Baltimore and DC

Cons

Pay raises frequently dependent on who you know not what you know. Some discrimination against older workers

Many line managers are technically qualified but do not have the right traits for management

Work at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory? Share Your Experiences

Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory