Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

www.jhuapl.edu
Engaged Employer
There are newer employer reviews for Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

Great place - advancement opportunities but you have to search them out

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Laurel, MD
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Mid year review and salary actions first few years. Great community. Lots of events.

Cons

Some projects can have very long hours which has caused some people to burn out - but other opportunities are usually available within the lab

Advice to Management

Talk with your staff more. They want to hear from you

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

A good starter job

Former Employee - Associate Professional Staff I in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Associate Professional Staff I in Columbia, MD

I worked at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay 100% for advance degrees. Great job to start a career with.

Cons

Advancement opportunities are low. Alot of family favoritism (environment based on who you know).

2. A stable place with a great variety of technical work

Current Employee - Senior Professional Staff I in Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Professional Staff I in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I feel very stable here, and I sleep well knowing that if my current project isn't a good fit, it's very likely I can find something that fits my needs and future goals. Technical employees are encouraged, but not forced, to take on leadership and management roles. Recently, APL has pushed for more innovation by providing actual funding for ideas and building a "maker space" lab to help build more of an innovation-oriented community. Job stability is very high.

Cons

As with any large company, you have to put up with irritating policies: for example, buying software, even the smallest productivity-enhancing tool, takes way more effort and time than you'd expect (government regulations, apparently?). Your computer will feel like it's four years old even when it's fresh out-of-the-box because of the security-related stuff on it - fine if you're a PowerPoint jockey, but terrible if you need to do anything that requires more horsepower.

Advice to Management

Continue to trust your scientists technical people and keep up the innovation efforts.

Work at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory? Share Your Experiences

Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory