Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

www.jhuapl.edu
  www.jhuapl.edu
There are newer employer reviews for Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

Interesting work, not a great environment

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Laurel, MD
Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Laurel, MD

I worked at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Even as an intern I was set up with my own office in a new building, which was very nice.

The older employees there are incredibly knowledgable about their respective fields, constantly giving out sage advice to their younger co-workers.

Cons

I was literally stuck in a basement lab without any windows doing my work every day. This environment bred disinterest and poor job performance. Recently however I know they've been doing construction on newer buildings which will hopefully help with this problem.

I was very young when I worked there, and the team I was working with was generally much older, which didn't help to create a good work atmosphere either. This may have been specific to just my department and group.

138 Other Employee Reviews for Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (View Most Recent)

Probably the best place to work for Aerospace Engineers

Current Employee - Associate Professional Staff II in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate Professional Staff II in Washington, DC

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

All the fun parts of the field, not too many of the boring parts. Work is highly specialized at the associate level and you don't often find yourself bogged down with paperwork. Much more powerpoint than word processing, so presenting your indepth analysis is not a soul-destroying essay.

Hours are great; rarely work over 40/week, and if you do wind up doing overtime, half of that is available as bonus leave the next pay period.

Did I mention they pay pretty well?

Cons

You're not paid like you're on wall street working a ninety hour week. Because you don't work a ninety hour week.

So don't expect a bonus, or a huge raise each year.

Get Dr. Semmel out more to interact with us on an individual level. He's great.

Great place - advancement opportunities but you have to search them out

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Mid year review and salary actions first few years. Great community. Lots of events.

Cons

Some projects can have very long hours which has caused some people to burn out - but other opportunities are usually available within the lab

Talk with your staff more. They want to hear from you

Work at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory? Share Your Experiences

Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory