Creative, academic environment and good work-life balance.

Current Employee - Associate Professional Staff I  in  Laurel, MD
Current Employee - Associate Professional Staff I in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits, good job security.

Cons

There is not very good age distribution overall. Some departments are almost exclusively young people, who could use the wisdom of more experienced engineers. Other departments are almost exclusively older people who could use some fresh ideas.

Don't allow people to become lazy due to job security. It is more difficult to lose your job here than in private industry and people know it, for better or for worse.

Other Reviews for Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

Great place to work.

Current Employee - Signal Processing Engineer
    Current Employee - Signal Processing Engineer

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of projects and opportunities. Lot to learn as well. You won't be bored.

Cons

Because the APL is a non-profit organization, there are no bonuses.

Interesting work, not a great environment

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern  in  Laurel, MD
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Laurel, MD

I worked at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Even as an intern I was set up with my own office in a new building, which was very nice.

The older employees there are incredibly knowledgable about their respective fields, constantly giving out sage advice to their younger co-workers.

Cons

I was literally stuck in a basement lab without any windows doing my work every day. This environment bred disinterest and poor job performance. Recently however I know they've been doing construction on newer buildings which will hopefully help with this problem.

I was very young when I worked there, and the team I was working with was generally much older, which didn't help to create a good work atmosphere either. This may have been specific to just my department and group.

There are newer employer reviews for Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory.

Worked for Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory? Contribute to the Community!