Not a good place for Software Engineers

Current Employee - Associate Professional Staff I  in  Laurel, MD
Current Employee - Associate Professional Staff I in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time for more than a year

Pros

You share an office which (depending on your building) is fairly nice.
Everyone is equipped with dual monitors as they should be
Low stress for the more junior employees
You can take masters level classes on site

Cons

I'm a recent college graduate and my salary/compensation feels significantly lower than people I know working at neighboring contractors.
Stack ranking favors giving raises to people who have more "visible" or "glamorous" tasking.
Some projects are horribly mismanaged, weeks of virtually no progress aren't uncommon for the worst of them.
Poor software practices across the board with many people writing software who are effectively taught as they go(Mechanical/Aerospace engineers) causes tons of headaches and slow progress. Once you learn the core technologies to do your job you will stagnate as there is no opportunity/desure to explore new tech.
Matrix organization, I have three bosses and the one who never talks to me decides my fate.
Matlab is used to do unthinkable things.

Salaries need to be higher across the board but especially for new hires who tend to leave after a year or two for greener pastures.

You need to hire Software Engineers to develop software products. Having a team of people with no formal education in Software/Computer Science leads to expensive, slow, brittle products, unsustainable products.

Fix your performance appraisal process.

Other Reviews for Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

Creative, academic environment and good work-life balance.

Current Employee - Associate Professional Staff I  in  Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Associate Professional Staff I in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits, good job security.

Cons

There is not very good age distribution overall. Some departments are almost exclusively young people, who could use the wisdom of more experienced engineers. Other departments are almost exclusively older people who could use some fresh ideas.

Don't allow people to become lazy due to job security. It is more difficult to lose your job here than in private industry and people know it, for better or for worse.

Great place to work.

Current Employee - Signal Processing Engineer
    Current Employee - Signal Processing Engineer

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of projects and opportunities. Lot to learn as well. You won't be bored.

Cons

Because the APL is a non-profit organization, there are no bonuses.

There are newer employer reviews for Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory.

Worked for Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory? Contribute to the Community!