Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

www.jhuapl.edu
Engaged Employer
There are newer employer reviews for Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

Not a good place for Software Engineers

Current Employee - Associate Professional Staff I in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You share an office which (depending on your building) is fairly nice. Everyone is equipped with dual monitors as they should be Low stress for the more junior employees You can take masters level classes on site

Cons

I'm a recent college graduate and my salary/compensation feels significantly lower than people I know working at neighboring contractors. Stack ranking favors giving raises to people who have more "visible" or "glamorous" tasking. Some projects are horribly mismanaged, weeks of virtually no progress aren't uncommon for the worst of them. Poor software practices across the board with many people writing software who are effectively taught as they go(Mechanical/Aerospace engineers) causes tons of headaches and slow progress. Once you learn the core technologies to do your job you will stagnate as there is no opportunity/desure to explore new tech. Matrix organization, I have three bosses and the one who never talks to me decides my fate. Matlab is used to do unthinkable things.

Advice to Management

Salaries need to be higher across the board but especially for new hires who tend to leave after a year or two for greener pastures. You need to hire Software Engineers to develop software products. Having a team of people with no formal education in Software/Computer Science leads to expensive, slow, brittle products, unsustainable products. Fix your performance appraisal process.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Creative, academic environment and good work-life balance.

Current Employee - Associate Professional Staff I in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, good job security.

Cons

There is not very good age distribution overall. Some departments are almost exclusively young people, who could use the wisdom of more experienced engineers. Other departments are almost exclusively older people who could use some fresh ideas.

Advice to Management

Don't allow people to become lazy due to job security. It is more difficult to lose your job here than in private industry and people know it, for better or for worse.

2. Interesting work, not a great environment

Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Laurel, MD
    Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Laurel, MD

I worked at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Even as an intern I was set up with my own office in a new building, which was very nice. The older employees there are incredibly knowledgable about their respective fields, constantly giving out sage advice to their younger co-workers.

Cons

I was literally stuck in a basement lab without any windows doing my work every day. This environment bred disinterest and poor job performance. Recently however I know they've been doing construction on newer buildings which will hopefully help with this problem. I was very young when I worked there, and the team I was working with was generally much older, which didn't help to create a good work atmosphere either. This may have been specific to just my department and group.

Work at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory? Share Your Experiences

Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory