Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

www.jhuapl.edu

Not a good place for Software Engineers

Associate Professional Staff I (Current Employee) Laurel, MD

ProsYou share an office which (depending on your building) is fairly nice.
Everyone is equipped with dual monitors as they should be
Low stress for the more junior employees
You can take masters level classes on site

ConsI'm a recent college graduate and my salary/compensation feels significantly lower than people I know working at neighboring contractors.
Stack ranking favors giving raises to people who have more "visible" or "glamorous" tasking.
Some projects are horribly mismanaged, weeks of virtually no progress aren't uncommon for the worst of them.
Poor software practices across the board with many people writing software who are effectively taught as they go(Mechanical/Aerospace engineers) causes tons of headaches and slow progress. Once you learn the core technologies to do your job you will stagnate as there is no opportunity/desure to explore new tech.
Matrix organization, I have three bosses and the one who never talks to me decides my fate.
Matlab is used to do unthinkable things.

Advice to Senior ManagementSalaries need to be higher across the board but especially for new hires who tend to leave after a year or two for greener pastures.

You need to hire Software Engineers to develop software products. Having a team of people with no formal education in Software/Computer Science leads to expensive, slow, brittle products, unsustainable products.

Fix your performance appraisal process.

Great place to work.

Signal Processing Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Lots of projects and opportunities. Lot to learn as well.… Cons: Because the APL is a non-profit organization, there are no… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Probably the best place to work for Aerospace Engineers

Associate Professional Staff II (Current Employee) Washington, DC

Pros: All the fun parts of the field, not too many of the boring parts. Work is highly specialized at the associate level and you… Cons: You're not paid like you're on wall street working a ninety hour week. Because you… Advice to Senior Management: Get Dr. Semmel out more to interact with us on… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory.

Worked for Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory? Contribute to the Community!