Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

www.jhuapl.edu
  www.jhuapl.edu
There are newer employer reviews for Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

Not a good place for Software Engineers

Current Employee - Associate Professional Staff I in Laurel, MD
Current Employee - Associate Professional Staff I in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You share an office which (depending on your building) is fairly nice.
Everyone is equipped with dual monitors as they should be
Low stress for the more junior employees
You can take masters level classes on site

Cons

I'm a recent college graduate and my salary/compensation feels significantly lower than people I know working at neighboring contractors.
Stack ranking favors giving raises to people who have more "visible" or "glamorous" tasking.
Some projects are horribly mismanaged, weeks of virtually no progress aren't uncommon for the worst of them.
Poor software practices across the board with many people writing software who are effectively taught as they go(Mechanical/Aerospace engineers) causes tons of headaches and slow progress. Once you learn the core technologies to do your job you will stagnate as there is no opportunity/desure to explore new tech.
Matrix organization, I have three bosses and the one who never talks to me decides my fate.
Matlab is used to do unthinkable things.

Salaries need to be higher across the board but especially for new hires who tend to leave after a year or two for greener pastures.

You need to hire Software Engineers to develop software products. Having a team of people with no formal education in Software/Computer Science leads to expensive, slow, brittle products, unsustainable products.

Fix your performance appraisal process.

133 Other Employee Reviews for Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (View Most Recent)

Great place to work.

Current Employee - Signal Processing Engineer
    Current Employee - Signal Processing Engineer

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of projects and opportunities. Lot to learn as well. You won't be bored.

Cons

Because the APL is a non-profit organization, there are no bonuses.

Probably the best place to work for Aerospace Engineers

Current Employee - Associate Professional Staff II in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate Professional Staff II in Washington, DC

Pros

All the fun parts of the field, not too many of the boring parts. Work is highly specialized at the associate level and you don't often find yourself bogged down with paperwork. Much more powerpoint than word processing, so presenting your indepth analysis is not a soul-destroying essay.

Hours are great; rarely work over 40/week, and if you do wind up doing overtime, half of that is available as bonus leave the next pay period.

Did I mention they pay pretty well?

Cons

You're not paid like you're on wall street working a ninety hour week. Because you don't work a ninety hour week.

So don't expect a bonus, or a huge raise each year.

Get Dr. Semmel out more to interact with us on an individual level. He's great.

Work at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory? Share Your Experiences

Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory