Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

www.jhuapl.edu
Engaged Employer
Add Review
There are newer employer reviews for Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

Great place filled with highly intelligent and motivated people

Current Employee - Senior Professional Staff II in Laurel, MD
Current Employee - Senior Professional Staff II in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Non-profit. You have the freedom to tell the customer the right answer and not the answer that will get the "company" more money.

Cons

Recent efforts at lowering company overhead rates have been hugely demoralizing. Poor changes to health plan, forcing employees to take treacherous weathers days off as vacation, etc...

Advice to Management

Look to employee morale. Most of your employees work for your because they are motivated by the importance of their work, not the money.

reviews filtered by
  1. Great employer with some really neat opportunities.

Former Employee - Senior Professional Staff I in Laurel, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Professional Staff I in Laurel, MD

I worked at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance, retirement contribution matching, health benefits are great.

Cons

Compensation is ok, but not stellar - that's why I left. There seems to almost be a requirement to leave and come back to get a good raise. Otherwise your salary stays fairly flat from year to year.

Advice to Management

Recognize that pay increases are needed (especially with the rising costs of living). Find other ways to cut costs besides choking salaries.

Creative, academic environment and good work-life balance.

Current Employee - Associate Professional Staff I in Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Associate Professional Staff I in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, good job security.

Cons

There is not very good age distribution overall. Some departments are almost exclusively young people, who could use the wisdom of more experienced engineers. Other departments are almost exclusively older people who could use some fresh ideas.

Advice to Management

Don't allow people to become lazy due to job security. It is more difficult to lose your job here than in private industry and people know it, for better or for worse.

Work at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory? Share Your Experiences

Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory