Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

www.jhuapl.edu
Engaged Employer
There are newer employer reviews for Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

Good benefits, bad pay, average employees

Current Employee - Associate Professional Staff I in Laurel, MD
Current Employee - Associate Professional Staff I in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time (More than a year)

Pros

APL goes a long way in showing they care about their staff, especially among the swaths of contractors in MD. This isn't Google, but it's probably as good as a large multi-thousand person company gets in this state. You can work on multiple projects, sometimes you have input on where you are placed(your work isn't necessarily limited to your group or department). Job security, there is vastly more funding and work than personnel to do it. No one is ever going to expect you to put in more than your 40 hours.

Cons

Pay is at best average, but I've been working over a year and haven't received even a cost of living adjustment. In my department there are not very many competent Software Engineers and many groups treat you more like a code monkey(making you build something for the "real engineers" to go ahead and use). APL, at least departments outside of AOD/Space, does not produce products but instead delivers "design and analysis". This means a lot of things are very screwed up and inefficient about their software development processes. You wont grow here as a Software Engineer if you are in the FPD/AMDD departments. Matlab is used to write full blown applications over years of development with GUIs and all, do you really want to be a part of that? That should make you cringe(if it doesn't, apply now!). I've met talented individuals, but they were recent hires. My experience with most "lifers" has been disappointing. There are too many internal political fights between groups within the same departments over fear of having work stolen, this translates into headaches for people in the trenches just trying to do their job as well as possible. Unfortunately, nothing I do is cutting edge or even really all that challenging so the work is very unfulfilling. The work makes me want to leave but the organization and education benefits have kept me sticking around. If you think you are going to use new technologies when you join be aware that a lot of legacy Fortran and ADA code is still going strong.

Advice to Management

Salaries are weak and cost of living(especially housing) continues to rise. The work destroys your soul, it's unchallenging and doesn't develop your career outside of knowledge arcane proprietary systems.

Other Employee Reviews for Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

1. Great place to work, friendly people and interesting work

Former Intern - Intern in Laurel, MD
    Former Intern - Intern in Laurel, MD

I worked at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The people were great to work with and the projects you work on are all very interesting

Cons

The work can be challenging and frustrating at times

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing

Good work, mixed management

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good quality work that can make a difference. Depending on your management there can be good life/work balance. Can be a great place to start your career.

Cons

Management quality varies wildly, can be very bad in some cases. Age discrimination is getting worse - not the best place to be a senior technical person. Pay has been flat for some time, and Howard County cost of living has not. HR and management do not take steps to correct poor management or behavior.

Advice to Management

Remember that our sponsor base values novel,solid solutions to difficult problems. While "new blood" is critical to the future of APL, don't neglect the people who have to solve the hard problems while getting younger employees up to speed.

Work at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory? Share Your Experiences

Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory