Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

www.jhuapl.edu

Good benefits, bad pay, average employees

Associate Professional Staff I (Current Employee) Laurel, MD

ProsAPL goes a long way in showing they care about their staff, especially among the swaths of contractors in MD. This isn't Google, but it's probably as good as a large multi-thousand person company gets in this state.

You can work on multiple projects, sometimes you have input on where you are placed(your work isn't necessarily limited to your group or department).

Job security, there is vastly more funding and work than personnel to do it.

No one is ever going to expect you to put in more than your 40 hours.

ConsPay is at best average, but I've been working over a year and haven't received even a cost of living adjustment.

In my department there are not very many competent Software Engineers and many groups treat you more like a code monkey(making you build something for the "real engineers" to go ahead and use). APL, at least departments outside of AOD/Space, does not produce products but instead delivers "design and analysis". This means a lot of things are very screwed up and inefficient about their software development processes. You wont grow here as a Software Engineer if you are in the FPD/AMDD departments. Matlab is used to write full blown applications over years of development with GUIs and all, do you really want to be a part of that? That should make you cringe(if it doesn't, apply now!).

I've met talented individuals, but they were recent hires. My experience with most "lifers" has been disappointing.

There are too many internal political fights between groups within the same departments over fear of having work stolen, this translates into headaches for people in the trenches just trying to do their job as well as possible.

Unfortunately, nothing I do is cutting edge or even really all that challenging so the work is very unfulfilling. The work makes me want to leave but the organization and education benefits have kept me sticking around. If you think you are going to use new technologies when you join be aware that a lot of legacy Fortran and ADA code is still going strong.

Advice to Senior ManagementSalaries are weak and cost of living(especially housing) continues to rise.

The work destroys your soul, it's unchallenging and doesn't develop your career outside of knowledge arcane proprietary systems.

Great place to work, friendly people and interesting work

Intern (Former Employee) Laurel, MD

I worked at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory as an intern for less than a year

Pros: The people were great to work with and the projects… Cons: The work can be challenging and frustrating at times Advice to Senior Management: Keep doing what you're doing Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Better than I could have expected.

Associate Professional Staff I (Current Employee) Laurel, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time for more than a year

Pros: APL is a large organization and your experience may vary depending on where you land in the lab. I've been working at the lab for… Cons: I have not encountered any notable negatives thus far. Advice to Senior Management: Keep doing what you're doing. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory.

Worked for Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory? Contribute to the Community!