Johns Hopkins University

www.jhu.edu

Mediocrity is Job Number One

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsGreat benefits package, but salaries are far too low to retain competent staff, at least in IT. The work environment is pleasant, and there are some good people to work with, and the campus environment is nice.

ConsSenior management seem more interested in vendor kickbacks than maintaining reliable infrastructure or, god forbid, innovate. The Peter Principle is definitely at work here, and it shows. I once considered sending a fruit basket or flowers to a co-worker just because I was so delighted someone was actually competent at their job. Then I realized how crazy it is to be amazed by such an occurrence.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of these cozy (unethical?) vendor relationships, invest in innovation, show some real leadership, and actually start to take retaining competent staff seriously. JHU hemorrhages talent and replaces it with comfortable mediocrity.

JHU is a nice place to work and persue career growth, but they're not competitive with salaries

Human Resources Specialist - HR Shared Services (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

I worked at Johns Hopkins University

Pros: *JHU Culture *Access to education benefits for staff and their college age children *Discounts available to JHU employees (YMCA, Weight Watchers, Amusement Parks etc) *Benefits package *Excellent worklife… Cons: * JHU Culture *University contribution to 403B program for support staff is 20 cents on the dollars *Poor training program in place to train employees on… Advice to Senior Management: Encourage, inspire,motivate, respect and appreicate your employees and the work that they do, instead of belittling, encouraging favoritism, showing little loyalty to employees who are… More

Very Pleasant

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University

Pros: Big Company therefore there is a very good scope of advancement after working… Cons: In comparison to industry standards, the salary is very very low… Advice to Senior Management: There should be a formal structure of management. The structural flow… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Johns Hopkins University.

Worked for Johns Hopkins University? Contribute to the Community!