There are newer employer reviews for Johns Hopkins University

I worked here as a summer intern, so ymmv.

Former Employee - Programmer  in  Laurel, MD
Former Employee - Programmer in Laurel, MD

I worked at Johns Hopkins University as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Small teams make this place feel smaller than it is. Being government affiliated, you know what to expect in terms of pay and so on. The projects I got to work on were interesting and useful. The people there are smart and stimulating.

Cons

Once again, it is government affiliated, so you get the cons of that as well. They do have stringent hiring requirements as well, and the culture is a little stuffier, with an older, more conservative workforce.

I didn't see much of the overall structure or other teams when I worked here, so I have none.

373 Other Employee Reviews for Johns Hopkins University (View Most Recent)

Great place to continue your career education and learn a lot

Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Time off is great, continuing education great, college benefits for kids is great

Cons

Poor salary - raises don't match cost of living, no merit increases, very hard to continue career - lack of promotions or path

Get in line with regional salaries and figure out a career path within IT that involves more than coding

Take the opportunity to learn and be prepared to move on...

Current Employee - Development Coordinator  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Development Coordinator in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The institution itself is phenomenal and you have the opportunity to interact and collaborate with some really brilliant people. If you take initiative, you are given the opportunity to learn and work fairly independently. The prestige of the institution is widely recognized.

Cons

Hopkins often feels too large and incredibly decentralized. If you decide, as an employee/new hire, to work hard and take on new tasks and challenges, you should be prepared to not see any increase in title/pay. Hopkins often allows good employees to take on more and more responsibility without appropriately acknowledging them. When it is a busy time of year, things are absolutely chaotic. The institution, specifically leadership, is very traditional and youth is discreted in the sense that colleagues can be very condescending to younger employees.

Work hard to inspire and motivate talented and hardworking employees. Crack down on the culture of "passing the buck" and delegation of tasks to inappropriate employees. Hold people in management positions accountable for the professional development of their teams.

There are newer employer reviews for Johns Hopkins University

Worked for Johns Hopkins University? Contribute to the Community!