Johns Hopkins University

www.jhu.edu
  www.jhu.edu
There are newer employer reviews for Johns Hopkins University

flexible, comfortable work environment for scientific staff

Current Employee - Assistant Research Scientist in Baltimore, MD
Current Employee - Assistant Research Scientist in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Health and retirement benefits quite good, on par with faculty for even 'assistant research scientist'. Happy to keep me employed so long as I bring in grant money-this was a postdoc-type position for me, and not all institutions would be so flexible

Cons

Little career mentoring or support for finding the next position. Computer support was completely inadequate-IT staff are overworked, support too many people

424 Other Employee Reviews for Johns Hopkins University (View Most Recent)

Great People

Former Employee - Recreation Center Monitor in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Recreation Center Monitor in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Johns Hopkins University part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Johns Hopkins University is full of great people in a supportive atmosphere. A lot is expected of you, but they have every right to demand the best support for their students.

Cons

I can't really think of any cons that would apply to the entire university. I worked part-time at the Recreation Center as a Monitor, which was rather boring and repetitive, but you can't really expect more from a job the main requirement of which is to watch students and university affiliates and make sure they don't hurt themselves or the facility.

You could consider rotating employees through the different relatively unskilled positions to give them a bit of fresh air.

I worked here as a summer intern, so ymmv.

Former Employee - Programmer in Laurel, MD
    Former Employee - Programmer in Laurel, MD

I worked at Johns Hopkins University as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Small teams make this place feel smaller than it is. Being government affiliated, you know what to expect in terms of pay and so on. The projects I got to work on were interesting and useful. The people there are smart and stimulating.

Cons

Once again, it is government affiliated, so you get the cons of that as well. They do have stringent hiring requirements as well, and the culture is a little stuffier, with an older, more conservative workforce.

I didn't see much of the overall structure or other teams when I worked here, so I have none.

There are newer employer reviews for Johns Hopkins University