There are newer employer reviews for Johns Hopkins University

Challenging environment. Lots of talent. Known for academics and research, not business processes

Current Employee - Director Finance in Baltimore, MD
Current Employee - Director Finance in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working with some brilliant people can be motivating. You won't become rich working at Hopkins, but you can make a living. Lots of opportunity for training and advancement. Good work is recognized.

Cons

You may have to move laterally to move up. Talent is in the Academic and Research areas. Business leadership tends toward bureaucratic. You won't hear "thank you" from the top very often, but collegial relationships can be developed to accomplish what needs to be done.

Advice to Management

Walk around a little. Meet the staff and understand that they are more committed to mission and institutional mission than leadership. Look for competence and creativity, not for acquiescence. Management needs to earn respect in the same way staff is measured through competence and collaboration.

Other Employee Reviews for Johns Hopkins University

1. Very cool place to work ... loved the atmosphere

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Johns Hopkins University full-time

Pros

Being in an academic environment around great minds; beautiful campus; gym on site; great neighborhood; a lot of diversity; friendly co-workers

Cons

Substandard pay compared to the corporate world

2. Opportunity to interact with many smart and experienced mentors

I worked at Johns Hopkins University part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I had good health insurance that worked well for me where I live in Washington, DC. I appreciated the autonomy I had in my position. My supervisors were helpful and respectful. The School of Public Health is a pleasant place to work (also has coffee shop, cafeteria, post office and gym on-site). The shuttle from the Baltimore Amtrak Station to East Baltimore campus made using public transportation (MARC train) easier.

Cons

This wasn't really a position with opportunity for advancement (this was a temporary position). Otherwise, no problems. I wish the hourly rate would have varied based on previous experience, but it was just a flat rate for everyone in the job.

Advice to Management