Johnson Controls

www.johnsoncontrols.com
  www.johnsoncontrols.com
There are newer employer reviews for Johnson Controls

Management is not focused, decisions are based on bottom line not growth

Former Employee - Account Executive in Fremont, CA
Former Employee - Account Executive in Fremont, CA

I worked at Johnson Controls full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Johnson Controls pays well, benefits are very good, educational opportunity and career growth

Cons

Employee engagement is weak, managers lack the ability to perform a deep dive into the branch problems, decisions are made from the gut and usually weak or have negative impact. Too much middle management and no support. If you lack a personal life this is a great place to work!

Limit the degree of separation from the top to the bottom to 4 levels, invest in working tools like sales force and stop new initiatives every 6 months. Google your competition and realize it is not just the big three any more. Modernize or go the way of the dinosaur

741 Other Employee Reviews for Johnson Controls (View Most Recent)

Every day there are less reasons to stay...

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Johnson Controls (more than 3 years)

Pros

The products that we sell are excellent and the talent on the mechanical side is also very strong. Additionally, if you work hard you can find good mentors within the organization to help you succeed. I also think benefits are good but nothing crazy, pretty standard for a very large company.

The industry is great as well, in BE we truly work on cutting edge hvac solutions.

If you hit your numbers management typically stays off your back. Mostly because other than asking you about your pipeline they really wouldn't know how to help!

Cons

The compensation (ie commission) used to be solid, especially for contracts - was making 140-180k as a sales guy. However, the company made a change and dropped our comp about 30%. All the while, senior execs on conference calls were making it seems like we are going to do great with the new comp plan. Either they are extremely patronizing or they actually had not thought through the consequences of their actions. I fear it is the latter, it seems corporate decisions and edicts are not thought out, halfway implemented and then everyone sings the company line like we actually did something. I have never seen so many people drink the cool aid out of fear (see next paragraph) As an example of the initiatives that are not thought out, they decided that they wanted to sell more of an offering so they gave every part of the business a goal to sell it. What happened? Did they sell more of the offering? Heck no, all they did was pit everyone in the branch against each other in competition to sell the same offering as opposed to before when we were collaborating for our clients.

The next real issue is the way this company is managed. First of all incompetency runs rampant. I don't know when they started hiring incompetent middle managers who used to sell copy machines or life insurance the day before but I see it everywhere. And then the incompetents are hiring more of their incompetent brethren and so on... A good sales/branch manager is very hard to find at JCI (although there are some excellent ones). These managers then spend 85% of their time trying to make sense of the excel spreadsheets computed by our archaic CRMS (yes that's plural because we have many and they are not intuitive and disjointed). So basically I am constantly getting questioned on these spreadsheets that I really don't know how to change and almost never getting any feedback as to grow in my profession. Finally these managers will almost never stick up for us, specifically on compensation and operational issues, because they are all deathly afraid of becoming the next head on the "layoff" chopping block. This last issue is probably the worst because it creates resentment among all groups because no one is willing to speak up that something might be wrong. It's interesting to see if someone does bring something up they will be attacked for any number of other issues just to get them to shut up. I.e. Manager asks superior: sales guys complaining their comp statement is wrong, superior will say: why don't you focus on selling XYZ offering instead, I noticed you are only 80% of plan, I want you to come up with an action plan by tomorrow... I know crazy!

Stop managing from the top down. This is the most top down managed company I have ever seen. Elicit real feedback and listen to the results.

Think of Murphy's law before implementing a change. Look back and think did we try this initiative in the past? Did it work? Why not? Has anything really changed? WILL THIS INITIATIVE CREATE ADDITIONAL SILOS?? And then if you do decide to implement the measure actually do some follow up to make sure it happened and give us the right support to make it happen. Otherwise don't waste our time on conference calls and kick offs, we could be out selling.

Invest in a new CRM. I mean how much could it possibly be?? C'mon we are the industry leaders, let's stop running our business like amateurs.

Stop hiring people outside the industry, we are losing credibility in the marketplace with yahoos that don't know the business. If you don't have an engineering degree or real industry experience you should not be considered for a BE position.

Pay your performers. We enjoy what we do, we are rock stars, but if the pay keeps dipping we will be working with your competitor.

Good People at Ground Level : Lack of Leadership ot Top Level

I worked at Johnson Controls full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Stable and big Global Company

Cons

Lack of direction and Strategy at top level and too many VP at top level

Understand your business more