Great Job

Current Employee - Engineer in Auburn Hills, MI
Current Employee - Engineer in Auburn Hills, MI

I have been working at Johnson Controls

Pros

Working at Johnson Controls was great. My past job experience was perfectly suited for what I was doing and I was given freedom to grow.

Cons

The priorities of management would shift constantly. One day you would be working on meeting a certain deadline, then the next day you were told to a different deadline.

Advice to Management

Again, management just needs to stick to their priorities. But overall, Johnson Controls is treating their employees fairly and giving them freedom to grow.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. A decent but not great place to work.

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Glendale, WI
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Glendale, WI

I have been working at Johnson Controls

Pros

This probably varies greatly depending on the team, but its a pretty low stress place to work, not much micromanagement, co-workers are generally great to work with.

Cons

Benefits and wages are average at best. Advancement is practically non-existent, the company would rather bring in outside talent rather than prepare existing employees to move up. Red tape is very thick. Job will be farmed out to a low cost country if its practical to do so, or outsourced entirely.

Advice to Management

The recent push to move jobs to Low Cost Countries has really harmed morale and trust in management is extremely low now. Not sure there is anything that can be done to fix this now - any reassurance to the contrary is generally not trusted any more.

2. JCI and Tunnel Vision

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Holland, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Holland, MI

I have been working at Johnson Controls

Pros

Friendly atmosphere for the most part. There truly is an open door policy. Customer satisfaction is top priority here, we seem to bend over backwards and sometime take it in the rear for our customers. Community is huge at JCI! Fund raising for their Community is in the Millions given.

Cons

Nothing ever set in stone. After 13 years of working on 1 st shift I was forced to go to 3rd because HR decided that they needed to reconstruct placement. Unless you have a degree there is no way to move up in the company: work experience and common knowledge is not even looked at compared to being wet behind the ears and just book smart. No one ever acknowledges you when you save the company money.

Advice to Management

Quit Changing your mind on procedures. According to many publishers of Leadership, many a people can live on encouragement and praise alone. Leadership Books written by John Maxwell should be required read for all supervisors and managers to learn how to best lead those under them.