There are newer employer reviews for Johnson Financial

Still a good place to work

I have been working at Johnson Financial

Pros

Employees are treated with dignity. Flexible work options are offered. Work life balance is important and management recognizes that. The corporate facility has a lot of nice amenities.

Cons

The great health and dental benefits have gradually trimmed down to good benefits.
As with most companies of thier size and larger, real talent can go unrecognized.

reviews filtered by

Overall positive experience and a great place to work, employed over five years.

I worked at Johnson Financial

Pros

It truly does seem that JFG tries to employ people that make a good fit with the culture, as well as have the necessary skills to fit the job. In addition, I feel that they try and be the best company to work for, and to reflect the values and ideas of the Johnson Family and the founder Sam Johnson. As a company, they do go out of their way to treat their employees well as a whole, and maintain the family atmosphere.

Cons

As with any company, it comes down to the people that are in positions to make decisions that has an impact on the culture. What I observed on the reverse side of the coin during my employment was some inconsistent practices.
    It seems that JFG has the proverbial 'glass ceiling' when it comes to hiring and promotions for female employees. As far as I could tell, most were never promoted beyond AVP, after being there many years, yet there were men counter parts either promoted after a short period of time, or hired from outside with the title of VP.

In another example, I know of two people who were terminated for the exact same reason, on the exact same day, and the terminations were handled by two different HR Reps.
    The first person was treated as if they had given a two week notice, and were allowed to get their personal belongings, and an email was sent out to employees announcing the departure 'to seek new opportunities'. This person filed for unemployment, and JFG chose not to respond to the State unemployment office as to the reason for the termination, so unemployment benefits were granted.
    The second person was walked out of the building, was told they would call so that he could pick up his belongings the next week, and the whole departure was hushed up. This second person filed for unemployment, this time JFG responded with their version of details of the termination to the state unemployment office. The employee's explanation wasn't good enough for the unemployment rep, so they chose to take JFG's side, and denied unemployment benefits.

My opinion is that this is a grave inconsistency. Regardless if the terminations were for cause, they were for the exact same offense, and the response to the unemployment office should have been the same for both. I feel that this had to do with the two diiferent HR reps handling the terminations. That department should be sure they are all on the same page.
    Anyway, if you are truly a family company, if you had to terminate someone, unless it involved stealing and actual charges are being filed, just let them get their unemployment benefits.

Advice to Management

Review your hiring and firing practices. Make sure all employees and new hires are treated fairly, as well as how your terminations are handled. Be sure that promotions and titles are granted to all who deserve them.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager

I have been working at Johnson Financial

Pros

"Family atmosphere", smart leadership, caring people

Cons

Very tenured staff, which is great for the company but for people who are young and want to stay with a great company the opportunity for advancement is lower because of the minimum turn over.

Advice to Management

Doing good, keep up the good work, and Thank You for not getting involved with the sub-prime investing. It makes me sleep more soundly at night knowing that S.M. is looking long term and not just for the quick buck.