Joie de Vivre
www.communehotels.com San Francisco, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Lacks Management

(Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

ProsMost staff are very nice.

ConsManagers are amateurs. No mentoring, training, succession planning, or even reviews. Good employees either get lost in the shuffle or wake up and leave to find a company they can grow with. Poor employees go unnoticed or tolerated.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire stronger managers or take the time to train managers to be effective. Hold them accountable for their departments. Do not accept sub standard managers because the GM simply likes them. Have stricter guidelines in terms of developing people & product. If you want to play with the big boys you need to train like the big boys.

By the way, Stephen Brandman is no longer CEO. You need to update your post...

Lost its Charm

Front Office Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Joie de Vivre full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Locations Primarily located in amazing Bay Area. People The employees who have been working since before the… Cons: Lost its culture after merger Should never have accepted Prtizker and… Advice to Senior Management: Leave Thompson Hotels. Bring back Chip!!! Develop strategies to retain employees… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

When I was hired I thought Hotel Kabuki was a great place to work, but now I'm not too sure.

Front Desk Host (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Joie de Vivre

Pros: - Center of Japan Town - Decent Pay - Great Coworkers - Perks Cons: - Inexperienced top leadership with little sense of direction - New ownership with lots of changes - Average Benefits (recent reductions) - Policy being crafted… Advice to Senior Management: - Conduct a Climate Survey and hear what the employees have to say - Rub elbows with the employees to experience first hand what their frustrations… More
There are newer reviews on Joie de Vivre.

Worked for Joie de Vivre? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Joie de Vivre reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Joie de Vivre CEO Niki Leondakis. All reviews posted anonymously by Joie de Vivre employees.