There are newer employer reviews for Joie de Vivre

Overall I would say Joie de Vivre was a pretty good company to work for.

Former Employee - Bartender in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Bartender in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Joie de Vivre full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I would say the best part about working for JDV were the people that work there. The hotel I was working at got purchased by JDV and they came in and made a lot of changes. All in all the changes they made to the hotel were okay. They made some renovations to the F&B outlets of the hotel and brought in a new chef ect.

Cons

While I was working at JDV there was a lot of change going on in upper management which led to an atmosphere of uncertainty amongst employees. With all of the renovations I would have expected to see in increase in business but that was not the case. I feel like JDV could have done a better job marketing and advertising to bring in business.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

A perfect example of what might have been.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Joie de Vivre full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunities to move up.
    Great front office leadership across properties.
    Training available to develop a career

Cons

Lack of Vision. Used to be a fun environment but has lost its glamour when founder stepped aside. HR department that is only interested in advancement not the employees needs.

Advice to Management

Just because a company grows doesn't mean it should become corporate. Make sure your employees are taken care of

2. Not so joyful life

Former Employee - Supervisor
    Former Employee - Supervisor

I worked at Joie de Vivre full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Open door policies
    Company is continuously growing and has infinite growth potential, creating what would seem to be a lot of opportunity for those looking for a career.

Cons

Being at one of the properties outside of California you don't feel as though you have a lot of people to turn to as an example of company culture. Management seems to be young and inexperienced. Being outside of Cali. leaves you with little option for using your company perks. It is always said that this company is looking to promote from within but for the year and a half that I was there I never witnessed anyone actually be promoted, though various positions opened up. It was also my experience that there was absolutely no follow through on disciplinary actions. The hotel became known as the job no one could get fired from which might be a pro to some. Last but not least, running out of essential items such as, toilet paper, amenities, etc. for the guest, is completely unacceptable.

Advice to Management

My advice to upper management would be to stop the madness. Yes you should be able to have fun at work, but there is a time and a place for that and there has to be a standared set. Stop treading on those that are asking for rules and regulations, aka. structure. You will eventually lose those in the staff that work hard, because nobody wants to work at 100% when the person next to them is getting paid the same amount and only doing 15% of the job. Also teach your managers in the workplace about proper fratinization and keeping boundaries amongst themselves and their employees. Keep the open door policie alive but actually do something with the legitimate concerns employees bring in to you.