Journal Register

www.journalregister.com
  www.journalregister.com
There are newer employer reviews for Journal Register

Every employee I know here is miserable

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Saratoga Springs, NY
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saratoga Springs, NY

I have been working at Journal Register

Pros

The junior employees help each other out as much as possible because we all understand the near impossibility it is to complete our work with the technology we have by the deadlines set.

Cons

We have regular tech problems to the point that we have to take the possibility of of a system meltdown as a known variable to the day's workflow. There is next to no communication from management to the junior workers. Orders from management tend to conflict with their previous orders, creating no-win situations. The emphasis on finally undertaking the multimedia end of journalism has been without adding new employees, so that the already underpaid staff is now undertaking even more responsibilities.

Improve communication within the newsroom so that the different sections are doing the same things. Make an effort to explain changes so that the employees better understand why the changes are necessary, thus improving morale.

31 Other Employee Reviews for Journal Register (View Most Recent)

Company Will Not Invest in People or Infrastructure

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Journal Register

Pros

- One of very few opportunities still left in print journalism
    - Seems to be interested in (finally) becoming a true multimedia company
    - High turnover provides an opportunity to get experience

Cons

- Poor pay and benefits
    - Years of mismanagement has destroyed all employee morale
    - Disgraceful internal communication
    - Literally years behind in terms of IT and industry trends
    - Despite new corporate leadership and one bankruptcy, still a company that refuses to make any significant investment in people or product

Understand that after emerging from bankruptcy purse strings are tight, but continuing to practice the cheapskate journalism perfected by Robert Jelenic (which resulted in bankruptcy) and calling it "The Ben Franklin Project" is not the way to re-build a company.

Just Right Company (not)

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Pontiac, MI
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Pontiac, MI

I worked at Journal Register

Pros

It was close to my house and my co-workers were wonderful people. The pay was not great, but it was ok.

Cons

A bunch of clucking hens running the place. It was so cliquish and completely disorganized. The woman who hired me was fired by the time I came on board and the self-satisfied loser who took over didn't like me from the minute I walked in because the person she'd just fired had hired me. It pretty much went downhill from there. Constant spying on employees by tattletale suck-ups. If you were liked, you were left alone. If you were not liked, it didn't matter that you were hitting your numbers and making money for the company, you were gone. Add all of that to the fact that the company had to file bankruptcy and you get a pretty ugly work environment.

Get professionals to start running the place professionally and stop cutting the news staff.

There are newer employer reviews for Journal Register

Worked for Journal Register? Contribute to the Community!