Journal Register

www.journalregister.com
  www.journalregister.com
There are newer employer reviews for Journal Register

Over a period of several years there were many highs and lows with the last five mostly lows.

Former Employee - Manager  in  Pontiac, MI
Former Employee - Manager in Pontiac, MI

I worked at Journal Register full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The employees are great at this company. Hard working local managers and staff that really care about the local products and the communities that they serve. The communities need these publications and the employees understand the mission of serving the communities and advertisers with the best content and advertising services.

Cons

The last five years have been rough as the there have been no raises, increased heath care employee contributions and several layoffs. Also the corporate management has no real direction and organization. I believe this is a sign of weak leadership at the top of the organization.

Develop a strategy to monetize your valuable content and then improve then relaunch your brands with the idea of providing marketing services to businesses. This needs to be done in an organized fashion.

31 Other Employee Reviews for Journal Register (View Most Recent)

Every employee I know here is miserable

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Saratoga Springs, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saratoga Springs, NY

I have been working at Journal Register

Pros

The junior employees help each other out as much as possible because we all understand the near impossibility it is to complete our work with the technology we have by the deadlines set.

Cons

We have regular tech problems to the point that we have to take the possibility of of a system meltdown as a known variable to the day's workflow. There is next to no communication from management to the junior workers. Orders from management tend to conflict with their previous orders, creating no-win situations. The emphasis on finally undertaking the multimedia end of journalism has been without adding new employees, so that the already underpaid staff is now undertaking even more responsibilities.

Improve communication within the newsroom so that the different sections are doing the same things. Make an effort to explain changes so that the employees better understand why the changes are necessary, thus improving morale.

Company Will Not Invest in People or Infrastructure

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Journal Register

Pros

- One of very few opportunities still left in print journalism
    - Seems to be interested in (finally) becoming a true multimedia company
    - High turnover provides an opportunity to get experience

Cons

- Poor pay and benefits
    - Years of mismanagement has destroyed all employee morale
    - Disgraceful internal communication
    - Literally years behind in terms of IT and industry trends
    - Despite new corporate leadership and one bankruptcy, still a company that refuses to make any significant investment in people or product

Understand that after emerging from bankruptcy purse strings are tight, but continuing to practice the cheapskate journalism perfected by Robert Jelenic (which resulted in bankruptcy) and calling it "The Ben Franklin Project" is not the way to re-build a company.

There are newer employer reviews for Journal Register

Worked for Journal Register? Contribute to the Community!