Things went downhill after JRC bought Daily Freeman

Former Employee - Sports Reporter  in  Kingston, NY
Former Employee - Sports Reporter in Kingston, NY

I worked at Journal Register full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

None of my paychecks ever bounced and my co-workers were great.

Cons

Upper management liked the backseat driver method rather than using communication and planning.

Listen to the newspaper people and digital people equally. Print still has more value than you think.

Other Reviews for Journal Register

Run.

Former Employee - Sales Manager  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Journal Register full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nothing positive except for some of the peer friendships that I formed. When you are made to feel as though you are in constant defense-mode, it tends to help create tight bonds between you and your colleagues.

Cons

I would not even know where to begin. As a successful, career-driven individual with a history of promotions in prior companies and a promotion during my time at JRC, I have never witnessed such unprofessional and verbally abusive behavior by management.

Upper-level management in the Philadelphia Region should be completely overhauled. I had observed and been subject to non-stop, verbally abusive treatment for nearly 3 and half years. After taking a tremendous toll on my confidence and family life, I realized that there was nothing I could do to further try and change management and the way employees were treated. Quite disheartening.

Difficult place to work during bankruptcy.

Current Employee - Sales  in  Pontiac, MI
    Current Employee - Sales in Pontiac, MI

I have been working at Journal Register full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good group of people to work with. Everyone is doing their best under trying times. Peers are very helpful.

Cons

There is no moral as the company is working through bankruptcy. People are worried about whether or not they will have their job when the company is sold to a new fund owned by the current hedge fund owner. No matter what you do, it is not enough to satisfy management. No merit raises in years. You are micro-managed.

Give people more input on how they do their jobs. Stop micro-managing.

There are newer employer reviews for Journal Register.

Worked for Journal Register? Contribute to the Community!