Journal Register

Company Will Not Invest in People or Infrastructure

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Journal Register

Pros

- One of very few opportunities still left in print journalism
- Seems to be interested in (finally) becoming a true multimedia company
- High turnover provides an opportunity to get experience

Cons

- Poor pay and benefits
- Years of mismanagement has destroyed all employee morale
- Disgraceful internal communication
- Literally years behind in terms of IT and industry trends
- Despite new corporate leadership and one bankruptcy, still a company that refuses to make any significant investment in people or product

Understand that after emerging from bankruptcy purse strings are tight, but continuing to practice the cheapskate journalism perfected by Robert Jelenic (which resulted in bankruptcy) and calling it "The Ben Franklin Project" is not the way to re-build a company.

31 Other Employee Reviews for Journal Register (View Most Recent)

Just Right Company (not)

Former Employee - Account Executive in Pontiac, MI
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Pontiac, MI

I worked at Journal Register

Pros

It was close to my house and my co-workers were wonderful people. The pay was not great, but it was ok.

Cons

A bunch of clucking hens running the place. It was so cliquish and completely disorganized. The woman who hired me was fired by the time I came on board and the self-satisfied loser who took over didn't like me from the minute I walked in because the person she'd just fired had hired me. It pretty much went downhill from there. Constant spying on employees by tattletale suck-ups. If you were liked, you were left alone. If you were not liked, it didn't matter that you were hitting your numbers and making money for the company, you were gone. Add all of that to the fact that the company had to file bankruptcy and you get a pretty ugly work environment.

Get professionals to start running the place professionally and stop cutting the news staff.

News-Herald is the leading local newspaper in the downriver area of Michigan.

Current Employee - District Route Manager in Southgate, MI
    Current Employee - District Route Manager in Southgate, MI

I have been working at Journal Register

Pros

They are very flexiable with work scheadules. Most of the employees are great people. You do learn the basic in money handling, customer service, and computer knowledge.

Cons

They don't promote from within. Management is very vague with company goals, as well as personal goals. Reviews are not regular, nor are meetings. There is no set way for employees to provide input to assist the company. Many promotions and daily tasks are not standard, they don't have a set way for every employee to complete them. This leads to many different methods and a confusing routine.

Find a way to gather input from your employees, they do care about the company. Do promote from within, use your talent.

There are newer employer reviews for Journal Register