Journeys shoes

Time consuming, routine.

Current Employee - Store Manager
Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Journeys shoes

Pros

Lots of opportunity to move up to upper management. You learn so much about your product in order to sell. It's a very fast paced company, you're rarely bored unless you're in a lower volume store. Praise is usually given where necessary depending on who your district manager is. Commission based pay, also so more incentive to sell. Your teachers are the people who you keep in touch with, they are always there to help you even if you're in a different store. Depending on your location you meet a lot of cool new people. You're always socializing with people whether It's about shoes or not. Journeys employees stay loyal to their first managers or whoever trains them.

Cons

You are expected to work long hours. For management if you can't handle 50 to 60 hour normal work weeks, and 70 to 80 hour work weeks during the holidays you won't make it as management. There is a lot of unnecessary pressure on employees to make sales goals. If you don't make your goal for a certain period of time you will be terminated (even management). Very young managers and district managers, sometimes they are so scatter brained they have no idea what they're doing. Work load takes a toll especially with very few days off which ultimately makes sales worse. It's a vicious circle. Not a whole lot of communication goes on between district managers and store managers. They can tell you you're doing something wrong but wont give you the tools or advice to fix it.

Don't randomly promote store managers to DM, unless they are completely fit for the job. Not just because they were sale monsters. They won't be selling as a DM so that won't make them better as a DM.

217 Other Employee Reviews for Journeys shoes (View Most Recent)

Unique.. but not always a good thing

I have been working at Journeys shoes

Pros

The culture of Journeys is very enjoyable on a non-sales level. They allow for a very laid back atmosphere while still having a very competitive edge to make work fun. The discount is very generous especially considering it can be used on sale merchandise. The company is not against promotion of young individuals, which allows great opportunities for experience. Health benefits are wonderful too. The monthly rate isn't terrible, but the coverage is amazing.

Cons

Two words sum it up: Sales aggressive!
    Sales plans on stores that have already gained massive in previous year make achieving goal and bonuses very difficult. Upper management awards stores that do far less volume with higher percents better than stores that do far more with less of a percent in gain (which can be impossible when plan is based on last years trend which at some stores can be abnormally high). The environment creates a hostile environment at times among management, as it is a commission based job. Being sales men, compensation is HIGHLY bluffed while pay plans are presented. Without question, Journeys does not pay competitively for the amount of time invested. While they preach integrity, I highly question it's ethical positions. I also feel it is hard to trust management above a store level, as their agenda is always unknown, and it changes from manager to manager. Also, management forfeits their life outside of work. While I myself am I die hard workaholic, having no quality to my life outside of work kills.

Value your management better. Success does not only come from amazing salesmen but from strong management. More focus should be put into a base pay compensation and less weighted on commission. There should be more focus on growth of individuals and the team, versus sole focus on sales. (Email pep talks is not the way to fix this either). Having the right team, allowing all employees (including part time where commission is not a factor in pay) to sell, builds the right sales environment and meeting sales goals will still be attainable. This is all stuff one learns in a basic college level management course, these ideas should not seem so foreign to senior management.

I love Journeys! I get along well with my co workers and managers. Great place to work.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Journeys shoes

Pros

Lots of diversity in employees. Very fair job, fair opportunities. Lots of interation with customers, great bonds formed, great realtionships formed.

Cons

Pressure to hit goals even on bad sales days when no one comes in hardly because of weather, football/basketball or some sort of game day.

I don't really have any. My management is great.

There are newer employer reviews for Journeys shoes