There are newer employer reviews for Jumpstart

Overall very positive review

Former Employee - Corps Member in Boston, MA
Former Employee - Corps Member in Boston, MA

I worked at Jumpstart (more than an year)

Pros

Jumpstart is a great way for you to give back to the community. When I worked with Jumpstart I had previous experience working with kids, but not as hands on. I greatly enjoyed my kids, my team and the teach in the classroom we got paired with. This experience also opened up my eyes to a possible career in teaching.

Cons

Your Jumpstart experience greatly depends on your team. If you cannot bond and respect the other members of your team, you will not have a pleasant Jumpstart experience.

54 Other Employee Reviews for Jumpstart (View Most Recent)

great opportunity to work with kids

Former Employee - Corps Member in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Corps Member in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Jumpstart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working closely with young children is fun and a great learning experience. The kids get excited to see you and you get to watch them grow. Some learn how to write their names, learn different concepts, get better at resolving conflicts, etc. It feels great when you see a child utilizing something you have taught them. I helped a girl with anger issues learn how to express herself to the other kids. The teachers have a lot of students so they don't have the chance to provide one-on-one support. This makes them very grateful for the extra help and the kids definitely enjoy and benefit from it. The training that Jumpstart provides is exceptional. The concepts and techniques I learned have been very helpful for my experiences working with kids. The training was actually superior to training I received at a daycare. Another great thing about the program is that it gets young men involved in a typically feminine occupation. Most of the teams are composed of equal numbers of men and women. This is great for the kids and the guys.

Cons

Personally, I disliked the team environment. Although I liked my team members, I just don't like working on a team. There are two team meetings a week where you do ice breakers and prepare for sessions. The team structure in the summer program was better because there are small team teaching teams of 3-4 people rather than the larger 5-15 team members during the school year.
    Another con is that some of the site managers are not very professional and are overly harsh. One site manager seemed to be making fun of me with some of the other corps members (she's no longer working there because she decided to quit). Another site manager flipped out on some of my team members, yelling at them in an unprofessional manner.

Do a better job hiring and supervising site managers. Look for more mature candidates.

It was a great voluntarily work

Current Employee - Corps Member in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Corps Member in New York, NY

I have been working at Jumpstart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Mentoring and teaching pre-k children and receiving an educational award upon completion it great. There are set day to go in and implement early childhood curriculum and there are day you can pick and choose to help the teachers out to complete your 300 hours of service.

Cons

Being that you will be working with children coming from low income families, the neighborhoods the schools are located in are not the nest, and some of the children that you will be working with have extremely bad tempers and behavior.

There are newer employer reviews for Jumpstart