There are newer employer reviews for Juniper Networks

From bad to badder, Juniper has great technology and VERY bad management.

Current Employee - Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
Current Employee - Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Juniper Networks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The money is good and benifits

Cons

Inexperienced management being hired that drives away talent. When I started I had a manager that was a joy to work for he loved the science of engineering constantly and supporting our efforts and the team ran smoothly. We did not have to explain why or what we did/ We gave him percentage of completion and used him for guidance. Turn over here is getting worse, no solid structure and guidance the Department head only cares about meeting the numbers not engineering and intimidating his subordinates. Gone are the days of teams interviewing new talent, one day your working with a seasoned engineer the next he is gone and your sitting next to someone from the data entry department trying to explain the how to open a PDF file. The culture for Engineering Services department is to be a team player not an engineer or else! If your an experienced engineer this is not the place for you, if you have a friend in management and you have no experience what so ever you will get a great paying position. Great jobs, anything from an Eng 4, Staff or even manager’s position straight from a department store job with no degree or an Arts degree or experience. Management seems to think HW Engineering not science. Really!! Yes men rule the department. The new bred wants to please their boss and push projects through ready or not. If you are a current employee be careful what you say if you’re not part of “the popular kids” gang you will be targeted. Note: Do not expect ANY training other than cooperate e-mails reminding you of company policy which management fails to read and implement.

Advice to Management

No Advice to management they don't seem to listen, advice to share holders start holding someone accountable and get a season Network CEO in place of the current one.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

One of the best companies that I know of in this space

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Juniper Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Having worked for 10 different networking companies gives me some perspective - Juniper is tied for 1st in the best places. In discussing with friends and colleagues, that is almost a universal sentiment.

Cons

Of course revenues growing at 20+%/year would be great but that is easier said than done. The long wait for a new CEO isn't the most comfortable feeling either.

Advice to Management

We seem to have lost the "Bold Aspirations" part of our business. Where are the disruptive initiatives? Contrail is more a me-too response. Fish or cut bait on the security business.

Was a good place in 2007. Not now.

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Juniper Networks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay. Good Benefits. Opportunity to advance.

Cons

Lot of managers building fiefdoms. Too much work. Poor life balance. Confused product strategy.

Advice to Management

Focus on getting a few things right. Everyone, everything, everywhere, all the time, is not focusing.