There are newer employer reviews for K12

Management is a total mess.

Current Employee - National Account Manager in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - National Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at K12 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are pretty cool. Pay is pretty decent too.

Cons

There are far too many growing pains for a company supposedly established and a leader in the marketplace. Management doesn't communicate well. They don't exactly lead either. They push good people out with their poor choices.

Advice to Management

Stop acting like a start up. Get your house in order. Stop chasing money and build a brand.

Other Employee Reviews for K12

1. Nice to see a company look beyond the profit margins.

Current Employee - Visual Designer in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Visual Designer in Herndon, VA

I have been working at K12 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours, creative co-workers, positive attitudes, and the knowledge that you're creating a product that has real value.

Cons

Some political aspects to advancement (it's occasionally who you know and how friendly you are with those folks that determines your success vs. quality of work). Most of the company directors hold their positions simply due to time in service vs. actual management/leadership skills or talent.

Dishonest

Former Contractor - Personal Admissions Liaison in Herndon, VA
    Former Contractor - Personal Admissions Liaison in Herndon, VA

I worked at K12 as a contractor

Pros

The only pros to this company is that it was a job for the time that I was employed. It kept food on the table and clothes on my children's back.

Cons

I was actually only a temp at K12 but was told the entire time that I was working towards a bonus. K12 employed over 75 temps (at least) during the summer months and this is what was told to all of temps and FT employees. I was employed in the summer of 2011 but am still friends with someone that I worked with while being employed at K12, who was just laid off in 10/2012. What they did not tell the temps was if you were laid off after making the bonus but before bonus was awarded, that you would not receive this bonus. Now I'm not talking about being fired, I'm talking about being laid off due to lack of work, which is something temps expect. But what you don't expect being a temp, is when you're promised something especially money or a check by a company that you worked for to break that promise, especially a company that just laid you off, knowing there's absolutely no jobs out there. Now my friend has been told the exact same thing. How dishonest can you be as a company.

Advice to Management

Just tell the truth to your employees. It's much easier for everyone. Less stress and you're going to lie to the wrong person one day.