There are newer employer reviews for K12

Ho-hum...might as well stay away

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Herndon, VA
Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Herndon, VA

I worked at K12 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Work-life balance - option to work from home when you want it as long as you do not abuse it (and no employee does, thankfully) - Good working environment - nobody checks when you are punching your card in and out and go as long as you get the work done - Clean and well-lit work place - you really feel like working - Genuinely good products but they are fast becoming outdated in today's world - Nice colleagues - most of the people here are smart, hard working and low-key

Cons

- Unless you are one of those lucky people who were with the company since 2000, zero chance of career advancement. Notice the word 'zero' - its not minimal, its zero (half the IT team left in the last year - should tell you something) - Raises are pitiful every year and bonus is a hit or miss - miss mostly - Transition to new work process has been hell and the work atmosphere is taking a tumble - this can really kill the company - Almost impossible to contribute meaningfully to make great products at an individual level, K12 is fast becoming a start-up going awry If you are a Beginner/Junior level person, K12 is not a bad place to spend 3-4 years. Mid-level or Senior level people? Forget it. Remember, it looks way better from the outside than it is on the inside. You've been warned!

Advice to Management

Do you guys really care about building a great company? You were lucky enough to get in when the company was small and made your fortunes when K12 went public. But in today's dynamic environment, you need to do a lot more to retain talent - pay better, have a better working atmosphere and be more dynamic. The world outside is transitioning to mobile/tablets and your products are fast becoming antiquated.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Nice to see a company look beyond the profit margins.

Current Employee - Visual Designer in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Visual Designer in Herndon, VA

I have been working at K12 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours, creative co-workers, positive attitudes, and the knowledge that you're creating a product that has real value.

Cons

Some political aspects to advancement (it's occasionally who you know and how friendly you are with those folks that determines your success vs. quality of work). Most of the company directors hold their positions simply due to time in service vs. actual management/leadership skills or talent.

So far...so good

Current Contractor - Teacher in Herndon, VA
    Current Contractor - Teacher in Herndon, VA

I have been working at K12 as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Abilitiy to work at home. Flexible hours. Extensive training

Cons

Low pay Unsure of how many students I will have as a contractor Unsure of the level of students. I am a new employee and a contractor with K12, upon reading the reviews (and they are all recent), I'm somewhat nervous about my future with the company but so far, the training is very extensive. I have been asked questions that really made me think about my philosophy of education. Also this new delivery system is a way to renew my learing curve. It's totally different from the brick and mortar schools and I think I'll have a better relationship with my parents than I had at the public schools. Time will tell...