K12

www.k12.com
There are newer employer reviews for K12

Company is making systemic changes in education.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I worked at K12

Pros

This company is a leader in innovating alternative ways for students to attend school.
They are growing rapidly, and their company name is recognizable.
Everyone who works there believes in the mission of the company.
The company offers great benefits, including matching 401K.

Cons

There is a large delta between management and employees - salaries, bonuses, and elitist attitude.
K12 could do a better job of communicating with their field employees.
Employees feel like a small cog in the wheel.

Since executives at each company set the tone of the company, it would behoove K12 to pay attention to the reviews and comments from current and past employees may help lower turnover.

206 Other Employee Reviews for K12 (View Most Recent)

I'm bitter and disillusioned.

Current Employee - Product Development in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Product Development in Herndon, VA

I have been working at K12

Pros

flexible hours
    ability to work at home when necessary
    opportunity to do creative, exciting work
    interesting colleagues
    fast-paced environment
    products are decent
    excellent tech support

Cons

Management promises promotions and conversions to salaried employment that never materialize.
    Too much pressure on product development to work faster is starting to cause tension and infighting between and within teams.
    Lots of reliance on contractors rather than salaried employees.
    Contractors are never converted to salaried employees unless they extert leverage by getting another job offer. This rewards disloyalty and makes people who work hard and stay with the company feel like saps. Promotions seem based on the whim of the CEO rather than competence, loyalty, or performance.
    Products are put together in an assembly line fashion, with lots of pressure on employees to work faster and cheaper. It's very difficult to understand the product as a whole while you're working on it.
    Lack of communication, mainly because no one has any time.
    Failure to provide adequate training... which is inexcusable in an education company.
    Employees are treated like second-class citizens, contractors are treated worse.
    The company uses a confusing array of proprietary and off-the-shelf software, much of which doesn't work well together. It requires a lot of training for new employees... which is going to become a serious problem if people keep leaving.

I've worked for this company for three years, and I've seen the CEO exactly once. He didn't introduce himself... I recognized him because one of the avatars we use in our lessons is Ron as a little kid. You might want to talk to some of the people who work for you. Maybe show up to an all-hands product development meeting once in a while, circulate for five minutes and say to a couple of people you haven't me before,"Thanks for all your hard work. How are things going?"

Just-in-time production and delivery makes sense for companies like Toyota and Wal-mart, who have products and parts that take up real space in warehouses and stores. For a company that produces virtual content, it's just plain stupid. We're missing deadlines and costing the company money because schedules and budgets have been squeezed to the point that no one can meet them without working tons of unpaid, unrecorded overtime. Workers are starting to abandon the company because they see upper-level management getting huge bonuses but crying poverty whenever a front-line employee wants something extravagant, like health insurance. We don't want a pat on the back, we want to be adequately compensated and given enough time to do our jobs effectively.

Good place to work, could be even better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I have been working at K12

Pros

Company mission
    Work/life balance
    Excellent co-workers
    Innovative products and environment

Cons

Disparity of financial incentives/rewards between upper management and the rest
    Lack of true leadership at the top
    Unwillingness to invest in infrastructure or anything that doesn't generate immediate revenue
    Tendency of CEO to espouse the moral commitment of the company while selling his shares at a rapid rate

The most important assets that the company has are its employees, not the product. This is the knowlege age, not the industrial age. Anyone who has been here for more than a year or two has no sleeves left because s/he has been asked to continually roll them up until there's nothing left. Treat your employees like we are important or risk losing more of us. The job market isn't that bad as evidenced by the line of good people leaving the company lately. We've helped build a lot of shareholder value which will go away if we all leave. Don't think it can't happen.

There are newer employer reviews for K12