There are newer employer reviews for K12

Working at K12, Inc. was a very positive, rewarding experience.

Former Employee - Administrator
Former Employee - Administrator

I worked at K12

Pros

Opportunity to be part of a creative team committed to high-quality education of students.
Commitment to constant improvement of all elements of the educational program.
Commitment to support solutions at the local level vs top-down decision-making.

Cons

Options for career promotions required extensive travel in my specialty field.

Continue to maintain positive corporate values.

178 Other Employee Reviews for K12 (View Most Recent)

Come here only for the mission; not for the company

I have been working at K12

Pros

Great mission - educating kids
    Good colleagues
    Nice location; office park

Cons

No pay increases for 4 years in a profitable, growing company
    Full bonuses not granted, even when company targets are met
    Huge health insurance increase last year
    Reduction in annual leave carry-over 2 years ago
    Unwillingness to invest in or hire employees; preference for contractors
    Lack of leadership at the top
    Favoritism in key departments
    Limited performance feedback

Employees have made sacrifices (family time) and huge contributions to the company's growth over the years but top management doesn't care. The lack of increased employee rewards (pay increases, full bonuses) over the past several years (going back before the recession) would be understandable at a struggling company but not at K12, a growing, profitable company that consistently reports good news in its earnings calls.
         CEO is out of touch with day to day operations but is autocratic in decision-making and insists on personal involvement in petty decisions (travel arrangements for ALL employees). This is a poor combination and a bad use of CEO time.
         There is no reliable internal communication. This creates a vacuum and encourages rumors and fiefdoms by key executives.
         Instead of spending money on all of the finance consultants, hire employees. K12 would save money.

Crumbling from the inside out. It really feels like it's too late for positive change, so I left.

I worked at K12

Pros

As previous posters have said, they do have the best interests of children and education at heart... but that's really about it.

Cons

Lack of feedback - Performance reviews are nonexistent.
    Lack of growth opportunities - Be prepared to stay in your current position for a VERY long time. There's no room left to move up.
    Lack of enrichment opportunities - I've been turned down for job related conferences because there was "no budget" for them, yet part of the hiring pitch is "the opportunity to learn more about your field at conferences".
    Poor money management - No money for bare minimum "cost of living increases", but we're profitable and have plenty of money to fly people all over the place for no good reason.
    Increased Workload - They "don't have budget" to hire replacement employees, so they spread the work amongst who's left.
    Poor communication - From the top down. Left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, so it asks the foot for guidance.
    Lame duck HR - Legitimate complaints are met with lip service and empty promises.
    Toxic culture - Lots of politics, posturing, backstabbing, and CYA. Completely unnecessary infighting between departments and divisions. Why can't we all just work together?

Without mass sweeping changes in the way things are being handled internally, my advice to upper management would be to enjoy the ride while it lasts. You're all sitting pretty while we crumble from the inside out.

Want to show some camaraderie with the people working for you? Take a $50k paycut from your six figure salary and give cost of living increases to everyone in your department. We've made sacrifices for you, how about giving some back?

Take someone who works on your team to lunch, and let them speak candidly about what's wrong and how they think it can change. Don't shut people out and shoot down suggestions because you don't perceive a problem from where you're sitting.

Ron Packard is more of an idea man and innovator than a leader. Allow him to continue to do what he does best, and get in some competent people under him to run the company.

There are newer employer reviews for K12