K12

www.k12.com
  www.k12.com
There are newer employer reviews for K12

I'm bitter and disillusioned.

Current Employee - Product Development in Herndon, VA
Current Employee - Product Development in Herndon, VA

I have been working at K12

Pros

flexible hours
ability to work at home when necessary
opportunity to do creative, exciting work
interesting colleagues
fast-paced environment
products are decent
excellent tech support

Cons

Management promises promotions and conversions to salaried employment that never materialize.
Too much pressure on product development to work faster is starting to cause tension and infighting between and within teams.
Lots of reliance on contractors rather than salaried employees.
Contractors are never converted to salaried employees unless they extert leverage by getting another job offer. This rewards disloyalty and makes people who work hard and stay with the company feel like saps. Promotions seem based on the whim of the CEO rather than competence, loyalty, or performance.
Products are put together in an assembly line fashion, with lots of pressure on employees to work faster and cheaper. It's very difficult to understand the product as a whole while you're working on it.
Lack of communication, mainly because no one has any time.
Failure to provide adequate training... which is inexcusable in an education company.
Employees are treated like second-class citizens, contractors are treated worse.
The company uses a confusing array of proprietary and off-the-shelf software, much of which doesn't work well together. It requires a lot of training for new employees... which is going to become a serious problem if people keep leaving.

I've worked for this company for three years, and I've seen the CEO exactly once. He didn't introduce himself... I recognized him because one of the avatars we use in our lessons is Ron as a little kid. You might want to talk to some of the people who work for you. Maybe show up to an all-hands product development meeting once in a while, circulate for five minutes and say to a couple of people you haven't me before,"Thanks for all your hard work. How are things going?"

Just-in-time production and delivery makes sense for companies like Toyota and Wal-mart, who have products and parts that take up real space in warehouses and stores. For a company that produces virtual content, it's just plain stupid. We're missing deadlines and costing the company money because schedules and budgets have been squeezed to the point that no one can meet them without working tons of unpaid, unrecorded overtime. Workers are starting to abandon the company because they see upper-level management getting huge bonuses but crying poverty whenever a front-line employee wants something extravagant, like health insurance. We don't want a pat on the back, we want to be adequately compensated and given enough time to do our jobs effectively.

195 Other Employee Reviews for K12 (View Most Recent)

Good place to work, could be even better

I have been working at K12

Pros

Company mission
    Work/life balance
    Excellent co-workers
    Innovative products and environment

Cons

Disparity of financial incentives/rewards between upper management and the rest
    Lack of true leadership at the top
    Unwillingness to invest in infrastructure or anything that doesn't generate immediate revenue
    Tendency of CEO to espouse the moral commitment of the company while selling his shares at a rapid rate

The most important assets that the company has are its employees, not the product. This is the knowlege age, not the industrial age. Anyone who has been here for more than a year or two has no sleeves left because s/he has been asked to continually roll them up until there's nothing left. Treat your employees like we are important or risk losing more of us. The job market isn't that bad as evidenced by the line of good people leaving the company lately. We've helped build a lot of shareholder value which will go away if we all leave. Don't think it can't happen.

Senior Executives Kill the Passion for Working for What Would Otherwise be a Noble Company

I have been working at K12

Pros

- It feels good to be working for a company that provides a high quality education to which some kids would not otherwise have access.
    - Clean, safe working environment in a fairly new building.
    - There are a handful of mid-level managers and employees who hold the company together and make day-to-day work bearable.
    - Company makes a profit and grows its consumer base year after year.
    - Decent vacation time and sick leave policies.

Cons

- Leadership abuse the fact that the company provides quality education options for kids with statements that insinuate that employees should feel compensated by the product and services the company provides, while giving themselves gigantic bonuses, and tens of thousands of stock shares, in addition to huge raises. Then they've given everyone else a partial percentage of their bonus, no stocks, and no raises for the last two years.
    - Elitist mentality by executives, from reserved parking that remains mostly empty until 10:00 am, to a perimeter of offices lining the windows around the florescent lighted cube-city.
    - Executives often hire unqualified friends of theirs into director and VP positions, allowing them plenty of time to learn the job on-site, without giving proven, dedicated employees a chance at those positions.
    - Executives, VPs and directors are usually not held accountable for the multitude of mistakes that they make, nor are they held accountable for the poor leadership and lack of dedication they exhibit. Rewards for jobs well done for everyone else are extremely scarce, while it is easy to be reprimanded for the smallest mistake.
    - The company needs a Chief Operating Officer. There has never been one, and it is clear that it is lacking.
    - The current CEO demands to approve certain day-to-day operations activities, yet considering that he comes into the office a couple times a month, he is completely out of touch with the real day-to-day operations going on.
    - Departments across the company are understaffed. Staff is not hired to support company growth and acquisitions.
    - While education compensation is available, unless the classes are in the field under which you are already working, it is often difficult to get management approval. So if you are looking to take classes concentrating on a field above your current position, approval will likely not be given. In other words, unless you are just trying to get better at your current position, you will likely not get approval from management for compensation.
    - There is a major lack of communication throughout the company, and upper management refuses share organizational structures, which both generate a level of uncertainty and create inefficiency and frustration.
    - Those who are allowed to work remotely from across the country, or even locally, make it much more difficult on those who come into the office every day.

- Reward employees equal to what you reward yourselves. Compensation should be closer to ability. In other words, - if the CEO gives himself a 100% bonus of his 700k salary, along with a 25% raise and stock rewards, and the board approves, each employee that does a below average job, like he has done, should be given at least the same percentage bonus/raise.
    - You are not as smart as you think. Most of you are lucky that you have so many brilliant people working for you. Give credit where credit is due a lot more often.
    - Hire a Chief Operating Officer.
    - Hire staff to parallel the company's growth and support what is needed for success, rather than reacting to impending failure.

There are newer employer reviews for K12