There are newer employer reviews for KBR

Can become very hard to understand management style of expectations

Former Employee - Business Manager in Arlington, VA
Former Employee - Business Manager in Arlington, VA

I worked at KBR

Pros

Multiplse task managment skills, development of leadership qualities

Cons

Professionalism in Management and absense of team work environment

Advice to Management

Open door policy and recognition of professional feed back

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

KBR from within

Current Employee - Process Lead in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Process Lead in Houston, TX

I have been working at KBR

Pros

The company is fairly laid back. The hours are flexible. Most co-workers are friendly and cordial. The pay is fairly high for the amount of hours. If you want to stress free environment then this is the place for you. However an engineering degree is required

Cons

The limited ability to move up as an engineer. The lack of energy in the company. The cyclical nature of the industry creates pockets of downtime where one may be forced to take certain vacations. Also client based work is not for everyone. Your suggestions may not always come to fruition as clients can be very obstinate in their beliefs

Advice to Management

A better way to motivate the young professionals is to give greater responsibility.

KBR - The Corporate Monster that will eat you alive

Current Employee - Security Coordinator in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Security Coordinator in Houston, TX

I have been working at KBR

Pros

The pay is great if you don't mind working 84 hours a week and dealing with less than competant individuals on a daily basis. As long as you are a direct hire, or BRS, you get a great benefits package and 401k. As long as you are working at an overseas location as most are, you get your first 85k of income tax free. That is only if you spend the required 330 days out of the US in a year. Dubai and Kuwait are the best work sites for quality of living but the pay is significantly less.

Cons

The living conditions and lack of compassion from upper management. They will tell you that if you are not satisfied to go higher up the chain but the higher you go, the less compassion and humanism you get from this corporate monster. The living conditions in Baghdad International Airport sites are atrocious. Be prepared to live in tents or with up to 4 people sharing a trailer. My husband and I were denied living quarters together due to lack of space. Working 12 hour shifts everyday with nowhere we can go without disturbing roommates, we may as well not even be here together. It is like living in a slave camp but possibly dirtier.

Advice to Management

Be more human, not just to couples but to everyones concerns. I watched as a 55 year old woman put her matress on the floor to sleep because she could not climb on the top bunk of a tent accomodation at the JMMT project. The JMMT employees are overworked and the lowest paid as it is and any of their concerns are always dismissed as whining. Not just by management but by HR, ER, and everything that is supposed to be protecting them. I don't work for the project but I have assisted along the way and it is a very somber place. I have worked on 4 different projects during my employment and was only impressed by those being run in Kuwait. And 84 hour work weeks are ridiculous, 90% of your employees are sitting surfing the internet for 10 hours of the day and are rude when you do need them to actually do their job. You can't accomodate everyone but you can treat them like human beings.