There are newer employer reviews for KLA-Tencor

Look elsewhere unless this is your only option.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Milpitas, CA
Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Milpitas, CA

I worked at KLA-Tencor

Pros

As a software engineer, the work was interesting. My management looked to me for most of the technical direction of our product, which was satisfying. My requests for resources and purchases (e.g. laptops, books, commercial software utilities) were never denied.

Cons

During my 3.5 years at KLA-Tencor two of my managers were put on performance warnings and ultimately dismissed from the company. My last (third and final) manager was put on performance warning after 8 months, which is the reason I resigned and took a position elsewhere. I don't consider it professional to give the details of the aberrant behavior I witnessed from my managers. I will just say my experience was bizarre and unsettling.

As an individual contributor, I only interacted with the lower levels of management (line-management up through mid-level management), so the more senior managers may not have the issues I witnessed.

I am giving the KLA-Tencor's CEO (Rick Wallace) a low rating because all I can really judge him on is the culture he created that I worked in (described above) and the value of KLA-Tencor's stock during my time at the company. When I started the price of KLA-Tencor stock was $50/share, and on my last day it was $39/share.

Why were so many of my mangers put on performance warning and ultimately dismissed from the company? I would have stayed with you a bit longer if it weren't for the aberrant behavior of my managers.

reviews filtered by
  1. Great place to work if you are willing to work hard.

Former Employee - Field Engineer in Milpitas, CA
    Former Employee - Field Engineer in Milpitas, CA

I worked at KLA-Tencor

Pros

Good compensation if you consider bonus and profit sharing. Highly regarded top management and excellent training. Vacation and sick leave are merged into "paid time off" which can increase vacation time if you don't use much sick leave.

Cons

There seems to be quite a few reorganizations which can be a god or a bad thing depending on how you feel about your current management. Hours can be long, but probably on par with other Silicon Valley employees.

I would try to limit reorganizations when possible and try to maintain staffing levels a little higher even at the expense of a slight hit to profit.

Would not recommend working in IT

Former Employee - IT Employee in Milpitas, CA
    Former Employee - IT Employee in Milpitas, CA

I worked at KLA-Tencor

Pros

There is both support work and project work available
    However increasing use of really poor consultants have made everyones life a lot harder

Cons

No opportunities for career advancement in IT
    No recognition and little reward for your hard work
    Incompetent senior management
    No respect for employees

Others have mentioned it before
    The senior IT management just does not listen so it is worthless offering any advice
    Really poor management has made IT a really poor place to work

There are newer employer reviews for KLA-Tencor