Average, no thrills.

Current Employee - Tax Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Tax Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at KPMG US

Pros

Stable career progression, you will get their if not in a rush. Feels like the firm take care of you, semi annual gifts of ice cream/meats, firm resources, people seem to be invested in performance review and process improvement. International rotations do make it feel like a global firm. People are generally open and collaborative; no one is really out to get you.

Cons

Limited advice or direction from senior management. People held back in their positions while new incompetent ones are hired. May be just specific to my area, but candidates are “hired” before they interviewed.

Recognize people in organization, do not hire garbage from the street, it destroys morale. It is nice to be given responsibility, but reward would be also appreciated.

Other Reviews for KPMG US

Open and honest communication my butt!!!

Former Employee - Advisory Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Advisory Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at KPMG US

Pros

KPMG looks great on a resume, and at least initially you learn quite a bit from working with clients in various industries.

Cons

As a KPMG employee you will get a constant barrage of propaganda about the firm's Employer of Choice initiatives, which you will find to be a huge annoyance once you discover that all of this is just lip service. A lot of the work-life balance initiatives look great on paper, but in reality they usually only work for the support staff. For the majority who are in client service roles, these initiatives are often ignored in the name of client need and most often in the name of partner greed.

You'll find that you are paid well below what you could earn outside the firm, and the benefits for the most part suck. There is a pension and a 401k, however the 401k has a five year match on firm contributions which means that most employees will not realize that full match because they get run out of the firm much before that. Of course if you don't leave voluntarily and get laid off you are still held to the 5 year vesting schedule, which for me meant I lost 40% of my firm match to the plan.

What the leadership truly sucks at is communication. They are quick to share what they think is positive news, but will absolutely avoid discussing difficult topics at all costs. Through several rounds of layoffs this year not a single word had come from anyone in leadership about what is going on. Even last year they disappointed nearly everyone in our group when they slashed or completely eliminated performance bonuses at year end. The excuse was that our financial results weren't as good as expected, although national leadership posted only a couple of months prior that the firm was meeting its targets and that 90% should expect to receive a bonus near the level of prior years.

Communication! Everyone will have a lot more respect for you if you are upfront with them when things are difficult.

KPMG - A package that one should not touch with a 10 foot pole

Former Employee - Advisory Associate  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Advisory Associate in Irvine, CA

I worked at KPMG US

Pros

Looks good on CV. Overall as one of the Big 4 it helps open doors in industries. You can make good networks.

Cons

Choosing to work in KPMG is a downside. Everything is a big fat lie. The whole work like policy is a joke. Internal politicking is rife. Managers are ignorant buffoons who do not even know their heads from their behinds. Partners are worse.

you have to fight for projects. Managers form their own dog groups and its hard to get out of a group and get projects. Internal transfers, assignments and rotations are hard to get by. All the stuff that is said in the HR presentations is just gimmick.

The salary package is the worst. The lowest paid of all the big 4 and they try to compensate by showing the great added benefits. Hog wash

Get a life. Treat your employees with respect. One day these employees will be ruling over you.

There are newer employer reviews for KPMG US.

Worked for KPMG US? Contribute to the Community!