KPMG US

KPMG

Former Employee - Audit Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Audit Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at KPMG US

Pros

The people i worked with and the social aspect of the job are the thing that kept me around. Everyone is young and eager to network, so the social events can be pretty fun.

Cons

The hours are horrible. if youre lucky, you can work a 50 hour week every once in a while, but good luck seeing any sunlight for the 5 month busy season.

Reward your staff more often.

3171 Other Employee Reviews for KPMG US (View Most Recent)

KPMG--It Ain't Bad, But It Ain't Great

Current Employee - Tax Senior Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Tax Senior Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at KPMG US

Pros

Opportunities to learn, defined career path, excellent résumé builder, opportunity to build wealth if you make it to the top of the pyramid scheme that is KPMG. Good training and fun, youthful co-workers. The place is full of hard working, ambitious people who are some of the brightest in their field.

Cons

Irritating performance management process using indescribably stupid "9-Box" rating system which has the amazing ability to ensure that most employees receive the exact same performance rating. Very corporate-y environment (lots of catch phrases like "we're the employer of choice" and "you're the CEO of you"). Very insecure senior management, seemingly so worried that employees will quit that there is constant barrage of happy propaganda messages funneled to your e-mail box, office in box, and even glossy magazines mailed to your home going on and on about how good life is at KPMG. While rapid advancement is possible, you also can get stuck mid-career (also called "Senior Manager for life").

Hours are often excruciatingly long--often rewarded by happy hours (though this will probably change due recent Ebenezer Scrooge revamping of the company expense policy).

Difficult to feel completely connected because this private organizations releases almost no useful financial data to determine its performance, and employees have no ownership (whereas as employees of other organizations feel more connected because they may have stock options, discounted stock purchase plans, or own their employer's stock in their 401(k) retirement plans).

Be more honest with your employees, don't be so pushy about how great your brand is--we get it. And, please, don't just keep telling us that the performance management process is great and we just don't get it--actually change it so people are happy with it.

Don't just say everyone has opportunities to do whatever they want within the organization--make it happen. Too many times I've seen colleagues who want to transfer offices, departments, or go on domestic or international rotations--all programs the firm claims are available to everyone--too see the local office partner put the brakes on using lame excuses. Do these people not realize that it's easier to keep a competent person they've already hired than to lose that person to a competitor who will help them realize their dreams more easily?

KPMG is a fine place to work

Current Employee - Auditor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Auditor in New York, NY

I have been working at KPMG US

Pros

Good salary, good bonus structure, nice people to work with. KPMG does a good job in most areas. The only improvments I would make is improving work/life balance and giving more respect to employees that work away from home on a regular basis.

Cons

Work life balance is very poor in audit. Tax/TS get paid more for doing less work, how is that fair?

Treat audit staff better so less of us leave i.e. bring it in line with the rest of the business

There are newer employer reviews for KPMG US