KQED
www.kqed.org San Francisco, CA 150 to 499 Employees

The dirty laundry within

Reporter (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

ProsWhen at it's best, public radio reporting is fulfilling and fun

ConsAs with many public radio stations, the management at KQED is managerially deficient. Most are old reporters with no management background and no training outside of a public radio context. This manifests in the form of poor communication of expectations, priorities and strategy. Emotional outburts and passive aggression are common. There's a glaring disconnect between externally projected "public radio" values and the internal reality. The most egregious example is how KQED keeps many workers on as contractors, sometimes for years on end.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to back up your reporters. We didn't chose this line of the work for the money, and certainly not to be embroiled in endless office politics. If we wanted that, we could go elsewhere and be paid more. Many of us do. Reward employees who go the extra mile, by working late, voluntarily writing up training manuals, etc. Many people at KQED feel unappreciated and abused.

They do really care about employees

I have been working at KQED full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Tons of PTO, great work/life balance, and low-stress environment. Very comprehensive health insurance (though you… Cons: Employee passion can translate into lower salaries. Raises are difficult to come by due to tightly controlled HR/review protocal. Though some employees… Advice to Senior Management: Love the PTO. Some consideration of how to develop… – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

A friendly and cultivating learning environment

Local Television Productions Intern (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

I worked at KQED as an intern for less than a year

Pros: • People are very open and friendly. • My supervisors were very understanding and considerate. • As an intern,… Cons: • Learn more through observing than doing. (But understandable for… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on KQED.

Worked for KQED? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at KQED reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for KQED CEO John L. Boland. All reviews posted anonymously by KQED employees.