There are newer employer reviews for KQED

The dirty laundry within

Former Employee - Reporter in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Reporter in San Francisco, CA

I worked at KQED as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

When at it's best, public radio reporting is fulfilling and fun

Cons

As with many public radio stations, the management at KQED is managerially deficient. Most are old reporters with no management background and no training outside of a public radio context. This manifests in the form of poor communication of expectations, priorities and strategy. Emotional outburts and passive aggression are common. There's a glaring disconnect between externally projected "public radio" values and the internal reality. The most egregious example is how KQED keeps many workers on as contractors, sometimes for years on end.

Learn how to back up your reporters. We didn't chose this line of the work for the money, and certainly not to be embroiled in endless office politics. If we wanted that, we could go elsewhere and be paid more. Many of us do. Reward employees who go the extra mile, by working late, voluntarily writing up training manuals, etc. Many people at KQED feel unappreciated and abused.

14 Other Employee Reviews for KQED (View Most Recent)

They do really care about employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at KQED full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Tons of PTO, great work/life balance, and low-stress environment. Very comprehensive health insurance (though you pay ~30% of the premium). Most employees are very passionate about the organization and its product.

Cons

Employee passion can translate into lower salaries. Raises are difficult to come by due to tightly controlled HR/review protocal. Though some employees are very successful at moving to different departments, others have had difficulty or are at a salary disadvantage when moving internally. My department was never allowed to work from home or flex hours--this is not the case in the whole organization.

Love the PTO. Some consideration of how to develop and retain talent is probably due.

A friendly and cultivating learning environment

Former Employee - Local Television Productions Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Local Television Productions Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at KQED as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

• People are very open and friendly.
    • My supervisors were very understanding and considerate.
    • As an intern, they tried to provide me with many opportunities to view the production process (going on remotes, seeing the editing process)

Cons

• Learn more through observing than doing. (But understandable for an intern)

There are newer employer reviews for KQED