Kahn Lucas

www.kahnlucas.com
  www.kahnlucas.com
There are newer employer reviews for Kahn Lucas

Learned a lot, would not go back

I worked at Kahn Lucas

Pros

Learned a lot, nice view

Cons

Owner is a jerk, old machines.

Treat all people as an important part of the "machine"

17 Other Employee Reviews for Kahn Lucas (View Most Recent)

wonderful internship experience

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Kahn Lucas as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing corporate culture. Even as an intern, my opinion was taken into account, and I was given meaningful tasks to work on throughout the day, as well as people that explained to me the work I was doing so that I understood its significance. The employees wanted me to learn as much as I could during my experience, and it was a fantastic one at that!

Cons

Some of the work could be tedious--though they tried to avoid it, number-punching has to happen for everyone.

Town hall meetings are a great idea, just keep things relevant!

Unhappy and Stressful..Undervalued

Former Employee - Assistant Designer
    Former Employee - Assistant Designer

I worked at Kahn Lucas full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Salary OK, Benefits somewhat decent, Learned a lot

Cons

Employees in the design field are not as valued as their constituents in the Sales dept though we are the basis of what an Apparel company should be. Often those in design have their new ideas/designs shelved and disregarded by those in Sales, or picked apart and modified to their breaking point. Margins are valued over creativity, often illogically. No room to grow creatively. Design talents are often muddled by production errors and shoddy factory production as a whole - very hit or miss - lots of backtracking and blame games. All errors fall back on Design, even if what happened was out of their hands. Design teams are expected to turn over large and extensive design projects (in addition to designing for the line) in a short time and without proper notice. Extreme levels of unnecessary stress is placed on senior designers which trickles down to the lower tier members of their team (assistants, product managers, artists), which often means trouble and upset for everyone on the team needlessly. Small issues are blown out of proportion while bigger problems fall ignored. Difficulty to communicate with superiors out of fear of being reprimanded or misunderstood is in turn the climate created.

Please, value your designers and their teams. No one seemed to take notice of any of our struggles to stay afloat. There is an extreme lack recognition is given to the designers for their individual achievements, especially from Sales. Stop lumping the company product into one and acknowledge the designers for their individual talents and strengths instead of putting them all against each other and setting each team up for failure or triumph based on personal egos or opinions. As a former design team member, I felt very undervalued, unimportant, disposable, despite the fact that I gave my all to my position. Please stop treating assistants as though they are children, speaking to them in condescending manner needlessly. When you finally believe you have gained some importance, you can be let go without warning. (Also, please weigh options better before eliminating entire teams of people, give fair warning, don't drag the rug from beneath their feet)

Everyone is nervous and afraid. The environment is volatile. CEO is not down to earth or on the level with employees. Too intimidating. There is a lot of anger, frustration, fear. It's not a happy place. You have to trick your mind into believing you are happy. I think the environment can change, but it will take a complete overhaul of the company structure, and it starts by putting Sales and Design on a level playing field, both in lieu of their salaries, and their value to the company. It should not be a pyramid with Sales above Design as it is now.

There are newer employer reviews for Kahn Lucas