feel secured in my job

Current Employee - CCM Program Assistant in South San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - CCM Program Assistant in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente

Pros

great benefits, pay, and hours.

Cons

not enough coverage when people call in sick

Advice to Management

hire enough staff to cover others when not at work

reviews filtered by

Overall a very poor experience. Management in the EMR department is awful and the senior director needs to be fired.

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Aurora, CO

I worked at Kaiser Permanente

Pros

Overall nice people except for the senior director and HR is very difficult to work with.

Cons

1) Very low salaries.
    2) Poor management
    3) Senior directors do not know the amount of work their employees are actually doing.
    4) They do not know how to do resource allocations.
    5) The physicians run the company. If they say do something, everyone jumps right on it even if it is not the most logical or strategic decision.
    6) No strategic planning.

Advice to Management

Spend more time understanding what your employees are working on and get to know them. Work on resource allocations and planning the work versus waiting till something happens to take action. Look at the senior director in the EMR department and her management skills.

I had a terrible experience during a 5 year stint with SCPMG, the southern california physician arm of KP.

Former Employee - Physician in Panorama City, CA
    Former Employee - Physician in Panorama City, CA

I worked at Kaiser Permanente

Pros

good benefits--although, as a higher earner, one does have to pay taxes on the imputed value of the benefits.
    stable salary structure.
    get 1/2 day per week off in Southern California
    good way of getting training after completing residency before moving on to bigger and better things

Cons

Very bureaucratic and intensely political environment.

All promotions are based largely on seniority.

Managerial hires must often be approved by union leadership.

The union leadership often paralyzes the organization.

SCPMG has legions of administrators, both physician and non-physician, who sit around, criticize, pontificate and add no value to the organization.

Physicians have little to no autonomy in shaping their own work processes and no control over the unionized support staff.

The unionized support staff are often thuggish and are not held accountable for their actions

I was stuck in a department that was perceived to be of little import to the hospital and medical group. Thus, I did not get the support that I needed. The physician chief of service did not care for either myself or my colleague, perceiving us as a means for him to escape into administrative functions. The non-physician department administrator was weak, ineffectual and unsupportive.

The salary structure is based SOLELY on seniority. There are no rewards given for productivity or revenue brought in. Thus, SCPMG retains older, less productive physicians who find ways to spend their time performing administrative functions.

Inappropriate usage of patient satisfaction surveys often discouraged integrity in the arenas of disability management and opioid prescriptions. While I would not cater to malingerers or drug seekers, I saw colleagues who did both, to preserve their patient satisfaction ratings.

Advice to Management

Empower individual physicians.
    Alter the salary structure to reward higher performers and more productive physicians.
    Allow the partner physicians some say in organizational decisions, small and large.
    Slowly begin replacing unionized positions with non-union positions.
    Alter the