There are newer employer reviews for Kaiser Permanente

Very large organization, not without flaws

Current Employee - Business Consultant Senior in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Business Consultant Senior in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente

Pros

Good industry to work in under the current economic situation, although possible government cutbacks to Medicare will have a large impact to Kaiser's bottom line.

Excellent benefits, decent pay scale on the higher end of competition. Very profitable company (although it's considered non-profit), has deep pockets.

Cons

Clear difference between union and non-union employees.

Union employees are "lifers" - they do not leave until they retire. Conversely, the non-union professional staff seem to have a high turnover, at least the groups I've been working with. This may be due to the fact that many of them are contract-based employees.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

As a long tenure employee who was laid off, it was disappointing that internal opportunities were not readily available.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I worked at Kaiser Permanente

Pros

Benefits are great, although not as good as they used to be, however if you work long enough to retire with benefits, it is excellent, including pension! Strong stable company with a great community drive. I felt the company valued diversity and had a great incentive on-line walking program. Entry level jobs can find growth opportunity, but at a certain level it seems to flatten out, making it more difficult to move ahead.

Cons

Bureaucratic and difficult to evoke positive change. Getting a "promotion" is challenging at times as you have to apply internally, interview and go thru many hoops to sit and wait for a while.

Great Company! Many Opportunities for Growth!

Current Employee - Director in Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente

Pros

Kaiser's compensation and benefit package are excellent. Leaders stand by their employees and generally strive to do the right thing. Telecommuting is accepted and even promoted. I like that we are a non-profit organization.

Cons

Culture of consensus makes it difficult to quickly advance initiatives. There is periodic conflict between long-term vs. newer employees (i.e., those that are not "Kaiserized").