There are newer employer reviews for Kaiser Permanente

Kaiser is a good place to work overall.

Current Employee - Assistant Nurse Manager in Roseville, CA
Current Employee - Assistant Nurse Manager in Roseville, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente

Pros

Salary, benefits, strives for excellence while remaining competitive in a tough market.

Cons

Budget cuts, economy, unemployment are effecting Kaiser just like they are effecting other healthcare organizations. Becoming a huge corporation and very micromanaged.

Advice to Management

Listen to your middle management too and empower them to be leaders. Don't forget humans are unique and we have brains, experience, and talent to be leaders, not just micro managed. To a degree it is good to be regionally minded but still let our ideas and creativity show through. We do need to continue working on being effective, keeping costs down, and providing the best and safest care.

reviews filtered by

Management is in need of professionalism and training.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fontana, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fontana, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente

Pros

The best reason to work at Kaiser is if you have a need for affordable health care and are a strong believer in the medical care provided by Kaiser.

Cons

If you choose to not accept Kaiser medical insurance then an alternate compensation is provided however, you will not receive sick or vacation time.
    Management consists of individuals with only AA degrees without prior management experience or understanding to the dynamics of an interdisciplinary team. Almost all managers are nurses therefore limited in understanding the complexities of other disciplines. Management positions are "at will" positions and therefore act in a "cut throat" /demeaning manner when addressing issues related to employees. Management is not able, prepared or trained to communicate and maintain an acceptable level of professionalism.

Advice to Management

Seek further management skills and training, focusing on communication skills, group/employee dynamics, and above all professionalism and honesty. Management is quick to lose the trust of its employees due to a lack of honesty and follow-through.

2. Big HealthCare Company Chokes the Little Guy

Current Employee - Assistant in Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant in Roseville, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente

Pros

The medical benefits are outstanding. There are some outstanding employees with integrity at Kaiser.

Cons

Management is very poor. Communication is very poor. Management is power hungry and it is a very disempowering environment to work in. Management breeds an atmosphere of favoritism and nepotism. It is a very hypocritical environment as well. Employees are constantly told we must save money, yet we see our superiors wasting money constantly on big parties, extravagant dinners and such on a regular basis. Kaiser just sunk thousands and thousands, if not millions, on a substandard HealthConnect program that barely meets the needs of the company. There are parties and remodels of remodels over and over again.

Advice to Management

Get off your high horses. Your power hungry nature only proves that you are afraid of something... but what? What are you afraid of losing control of? Loosen the choke hold you have on employees. Stop playing favorites; it's dispicable. Do you thnk we don't see how you go after people you don't like and coddle people you do like? You think employees stay because it's such a great place to be? Are you crazy? We stay for the benefits... that's it... and because we need to feed our families and pay our bills in this crazy economy.

George Halverson... are you paying any attention at all??? Or do you turn your head at what goes on at the lower levels??? We read your emails and they on frustrate us more. WHAT makes you think it's the best place to work??? Clearly no one pays attention to those surveys you ask us to take every year....