Kaiser Permanente

Kaiser-The best employer

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Arlington, VA
Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente

Pros

The nurses were encouraged to bring new ideas to the table. We were then given the tools to carry out the ideas.

The career ladder offered a way to grow professionally. It also provided a means to get recognition and compensation.

The commercials were inspiring. They reminded people to take care of their bodies,

Cons

None- I would have careered there had I not moved. I had to get out of clinical nursing because the hospital I tried to work for put all their money into buildings and none into the staff. Kaiser has a balance between growth and investing in people

Continue to encourage innovation

1939 Other Employee Reviews for Kaiser Permanente (View Most Recent)

Check it out.

Former Employee - Managerial Consultant in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Managerial Consultant in Oakland, CA

I worked at Kaiser Permanente

Pros

Kaiser provides world class health care. It is well organized and frequently takes full advantage of its economies of scale. This includes the promotion of clinical guidelines that reflect latest in clinical studies have to offer.

Cons

As with many very large organizations it can be hard to see the 'big picture'. Decision making is by concensus, and because it is a large organization, decisions are often deliberated at multiple levels within the organization. As a result, decision making occurs within an expanded time horizen.

Allow for work/life balance.

Job satisfaction is location-driven, results slowed by bureaucracy, IT lags (even with Health Connect) good benefits.

Former Employee - Project Manager in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Oakland, CA

I worked at Kaiser Permanente

Pros

Benefits. Opportunities for advancement. Some leaders really do believe in the cause.

Cons

Bureaucracy, too many chiefs and not enough indians. Not enough orientation to tools and systems and how to navigate KP as a new employee. Tension between entities (health plan, hospitals and medical group) is palpable and often conveys conflicting strategic messages. Promotion opportunties are more like popularity contests. Labor/Management "partnership" creates tension and "us against them" mentality despite its noble objectives. Resentment of Regional/National" office among facility management and staff needs to be better managed.

Just because it worked in one region, doesn't mean it works somewhere else. There should be more Labor represented in Executive Management levels. Culture and perceptions of culture is locally driven. Give more autonomy to local leaders and managers to control their units. Resentment of Regional/National" office among facility management and staff needs to be better managed. A long way to go to get IT Systems up to level of other companies in the area.

There are newer employer reviews for Kaiser Permanente