There are newer employer reviews for Kaiser Permanente

Having more Clinical Pharmacists would improve quality of patient care at Kaiser

Current Employee - Clinical Pharmacist in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Clinical Pharmacist in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente

Pros

Excellent salary and benefits. Great work environment--coworkers, morale level, friendliness of staff. I love coming to work, and having worked at other places, I feel lucky to work here now. Love the online clinical library. Opportunities for professional growth.

Cons

I would appreciate more feedback on my performance. When I asked my manager how I'm doing, she said "you're doing ok", and didn't elaborate. I think she has a lot on her mind lately, with budget issues. Still, it'd be appreciated to get more feedback than that.

Kaiser would be more efficient if it had more clinical pharmacists as outpatient clinic care managers (ie. primary care, diabetes clinic, PHASE, heart failure, pain, etc). We're excellent physician extenders. This is what we went to university and 4 years of pharmacy school and residency training to do. I read so many visit notes from other care providers who don't seem to have a clue what to do about patients' medications, it's pretty scary and I worry for patient safety as a result.

reviews filtered by

good place to retire

Current Employee - Senior Database Administrator in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Database Administrator in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente

Pros

benefit and work hours are good. It comes with plenty of holidays and PTO. The work culture is very layback. If you are going for a long haul, this is the place. Most people have been with the company for over 10 years. And many are waiting to receive their retirement package.

Cons

Too much politics and autonomous organizations. Each group just cares about its territory. There is a lack of cross-functional team work. There are so much red tapes that discourage you to do any real work. For sure there are plenty of policies just like any big company, but their policies keep changing to the point that even your manager does not work what is the "latest" policy.

Reduce some layers of middle managements. They just complicate the whole approval and work process without adding any values.

2. Kaiser may survive the next reorganization of health care with some integrity.

Current Employee - Licensed Clinical Software in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Licensed Clinical Software in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente

Pros

Compensation levels, opportunities to transfer when one moves, fairly advanced thinking about best practices and accountability for outcomes.

Cons

Some clinical SOPs are dumbed down to the lowest common denominator, and there is a subtle pressure not to get too interested in challenging cases. You could end up doing assembly line care.

The original model of prepaid, preventative, integrated care is worth saving; it is a mistake to dilute it just to remain competitive in a market where customers just don't want to pay for that. It would be wiser to try to steer national health policy to make it affordable.

There are newer employer reviews for Kaiser Permanente