There are newer employer reviews for Kaiser Permanente

Having more Clinical Pharmacists would improve quality of patient care at Kaiser

Current Employee - Clinical Pharmacist  in  San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Clinical Pharmacist in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente

Pros

Excellent salary and benefits. Great work environment--coworkers, morale level, friendliness of staff. I love coming to work, and having worked at other places, I feel lucky to work here now. Love the online clinical library. Opportunities for professional growth.

Cons

I would appreciate more feedback on my performance. When I asked my manager how I'm doing, she said "you're doing ok", and didn't elaborate. I think she has a lot on her mind lately, with budget issues. Still, it'd be appreciated to get more feedback than that.

Kaiser would be more efficient if it had more clinical pharmacists as outpatient clinic care managers (ie. primary care, diabetes clinic, PHASE, heart failure, pain, etc). We're excellent physician extenders. This is what we went to university and 4 years of pharmacy school and residency training to do. I read so many visit notes from other care providers who don't seem to have a clue what to do about patients' medications, it's pretty scary and I worry for patient safety as a result.

1631 Other Employee Reviews for Kaiser Permanente (View Most Recent)

Great ambitions, sometimes falls short in execution; overall a rewarding place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente

Pros

Great mission, lots of opportunities, good benefits and pay, smart people. Working at Kaiser Permanente is a great way to understand the way that all aspects of health care work- insurance, care delivery, IT, internal and external communications. I believe the pay and benefits are among the best in our industry. The people I work with are some of the smartest people I have had the benefit of being surrounded by- recognized as tops in their chosen niches. I don't think a lot of people truly understand how KP is different from every other health care in the US, and how it can be a model. Externally, the old perceptions and urban legends tend to rule, and that's a shame.

Cons

In my department work-life balance is a challenge- increasingly the demands are such that working at nights and on the weekend is expected. Having a big brand has good points, but it also results in lots of negative stories from small pockets of the organization that pull down morale. KP has a high level of bureaucracy that comes with large organizations, and the mphasis on "influencing" instead of being able to compel action, can make it hard to get things done. As a member as well as an employee, I also think a downside of KP is lack of good customer service and dealing with the bureaucracy as a member.

Good communications from top management about the business

Providing superior health care with great technology.

Current Employee - IT Director
    Current Employee - IT Director

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente

Pros

The IT work at Kaiser Permanente is extremely broad and varied. Our implementation of an Electronic Medical record is the largest non-government system in the world. Our technology is positively impacting the way health care is delivered. There are many different types of positions in IT and the ability to grow professionally is tremendous. Kaiser Permanente is located in CA, Oregon, Washington state. Washington DC, Hawaii, Colorado, Ohio and Georgia. There are many opportunities in all of these locations. Salaries are fairly good and benefits are great and include health, dental, vision, 403b and pension plan. Overall, a good place to work.

Cons

Kaiser Permanente is very large and bureaucratic. Kaiser Permanente has nearly 200,000 staff and physicians. Frequently, decision making is a long and arduous process. Dealing with the unionized staff can be difficult at times as they sometimes seem to have their own agendas and are more interested in protecting their jobs and doing as little as possible. Management staff has to frequently travel out of town for meetings at corporate headquarters. Kaiser Permanente supports work/life balance, but employees have to take responsibility to manage the balance. If not, you could work 12 hours a day 7 days a week and still not complete the work.

Listen to the people in the trenches.

There are newer employer reviews for Kaiser Permanente

Worked for Kaiser Permanente? Contribute to the Community!