Kaiser Permanente

www.kaiserpermanente.org
  www.kaiserpermanente.org
There are newer employer reviews for Kaiser Permanente

Having more Clinical Pharmacists would improve quality of patient care at Kaiser

Current Employee - Clinical Pharmacist in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Clinical Pharmacist in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente

Pros

Excellent salary and benefits. Great work environment--coworkers, morale level, friendliness of staff. I love coming to work, and having worked at other places, I feel lucky to work here now. Love the online clinical library. Opportunities for professional growth.

Cons

I would appreciate more feedback on my performance. When I asked my manager how I'm doing, she said "you're doing ok", and didn't elaborate. I think she has a lot on her mind lately, with budget issues. Still, it'd be appreciated to get more feedback than that.

Kaiser would be more efficient if it had more clinical pharmacists as outpatient clinic care managers (ie. primary care, diabetes clinic, PHASE, heart failure, pain, etc). We're excellent physician extenders. This is what we went to university and 4 years of pharmacy school and residency training to do. I read so many visit notes from other care providers who don't seem to have a clue what to do about patients' medications, it's pretty scary and I worry for patient safety as a result.

1759 Other Employee Reviews for Kaiser Permanente (View Most Recent)

Providing superior health care with great technology.

Current Employee - IT Director
    Current Employee - IT Director

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente

Pros

The IT work at Kaiser Permanente is extremely broad and varied. Our implementation of an Electronic Medical record is the largest non-government system in the world. Our technology is positively impacting the way health care is delivered. There are many different types of positions in IT and the ability to grow professionally is tremendous. Kaiser Permanente is located in CA, Oregon, Washington state. Washington DC, Hawaii, Colorado, Ohio and Georgia. There are many opportunities in all of these locations. Salaries are fairly good and benefits are great and include health, dental, vision, 403b and pension plan. Overall, a good place to work.

Cons

Kaiser Permanente is very large and bureaucratic. Kaiser Permanente has nearly 200,000 staff and physicians. Frequently, decision making is a long and arduous process. Dealing with the unionized staff can be difficult at times as they sometimes seem to have their own agendas and are more interested in protecting their jobs and doing as little as possible. Management staff has to frequently travel out of town for meetings at corporate headquarters. Kaiser Permanente supports work/life balance, but employees have to take responsibility to manage the balance. If not, you could work 12 hours a day 7 days a week and still not complete the work.

Listen to the people in the trenches.

good place to retire

Current Employee - Senior Database Administrator in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Database Administrator in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente

Pros

benefit and work hours are good. It comes with plenty of holidays and PTO. The work culture is very layback. If you are going for a long haul, this is the place. Most people have been with the company for over 10 years. And many are waiting to receive their retirement package.

Cons

Too much politics and autonomous organizations. Each group just cares about its territory. There is a lack of cross-functional team work. There are so much red tapes that discourage you to do any real work. For sure there are plenty of policies just like any big company, but their policies keep changing to the point that even your manager does not work what is the "latest" policy.

Reduce some layers of middle managements. They just complicate the whole approval and work process without adding any values.

There are newer employer reviews for Kaiser Permanente