There are newer employer reviews for Kaiser Permanente

Good environment, pleasant co-workers, but endless meetings

Former Contractor - Senior Print Production in Burbank, CA
Former Contractor - Senior Print Production in Burbank, CA

I worked at Kaiser Permanente as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a contractor I was capped to an 8-hour day, so wildly fluctuating schedules were not an issue. Middle management was open to process innovation and technical input. We were given the tools and infrastructure to get our jobs done effectively. People pleasant to work with.

Cons

Endless meetings, most of which had nothing to do with my job description. On a minor note, it was interesting that Kaiser worked on the Friday after Thanksgiving, when the rest of America was seemingly gone 'til Monday.

Advice to Management

Have meetings "Southwest Airlines" style—everybody standing up. They'll be over in 20 minutes, will discourage idle digressions, and will be a tonic to sitting all day.

reviews filtered by

Great place to work=farce Don't sell out for the pay not worth it!

Current Employee - Phlebotomist/Laboratory In-pt in Clackamas, OR
    Current Employee - Phlebotomist/Laboratory In-pt in Clackamas, OR

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente (More than a year)

Pros

WAGES, Union will bat for you (only after 90 days)

Cons

poor training and on-boarding, sink-or-swim, not organized, will work you 9 or 10 days straight and balance it so you don't get o/t pay, every weekend and holiday as an on-call w/o so much as asking you before etching the schedule in stone, encourage employees to work double shifts that cause mistakes in pt care & testing, strict 3day/6mo sick days (they have sick emp's working with pts?), ,, sr employees are lazy, old out dated unsafe technique/skills, no dress code=facial piercings,exposed gang type tattoos and dirty t shirts/sweat pants; scary for patients, no certifications or formal training required, heartless or rushed butchers trying to draw morning labs up to 30 pts in less than 2 hrs make their Sunnyside lab a horrific place to work. It will get worse as they downsize to make room for new west hospital.

Advice to Management

Thrive motto and Labor & Management Partnership is a facade! Hire and keep employees with compassion, work ethics and current certified skills. Give your members what they deserve

In it for the long haul.

Current Employee - Senior Staff Assistant in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Assistant in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Kaiser is a great company to work for. My coworkers are all super friendly, happy with their jobs, and while there is no perfect world, I hear very little complaining. Senior leadership provides a lot of opportunity for career growth as well as personal growth. There are a LOT of programs offered to employees to promote health and wellness. There is definitely work/life balance for all employees at the facility I work at (that goes for salaried employees too, who are most vulnerable to losing that balance). I am sure every facility has it's own variable micro-climate, but as an organization overall I think Kaiser is class A.

Cons

I can't think of one. I've only been with Kaiser 14+ months, so maybe I'm in the honeymoon phase. I mean, no company is without it's own struggles. There are growing pains related to trying to better yourself as a company, innovate, and improve, and as a forward-thinking company Kaiser employees experience that. But the general attitude is that these changes are embraced. Communication is high, which is probably why change is so accepted from the front-line up to senior leadership, and most all employees are dialed in to what is going on so that these changes don't really blindside anyone and therefore are less painful.

Advice to Management

Maintain your course!