There are newer employer reviews for Kaiser Permanente

Interesting, challenging work, but watch out for burn out

Current Employee - IT Manager in Pleasanton, CA
Current Employee - IT Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente

Pros

Work is interesting and challenging and there are opportunities for advancement. The group I work is bringing "cutting edge" technologies and methodologies to Kaiser...ironically outside of Kaiser they are mainstream.

Cons

Work life balance doesn't exist. Management will suck you dry if you let them. Hard to get management to recognize that you need additional resources and prioritize your work. Other downside is that you need to get consensus from a lot of different groups before you can make any changes.

Advice to Management

Don't try to solve every single problem at once, instead, select a handful of strategic initiatives and focus on them. Also stop with the constant re-orgs - I've had 4 managers in the course of a year.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great Place to Work - Back Again, Thriving, and Staying!

Current Employee - Project Manager in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente

Pros

Kaiser has work-life balance! I have time to do a good job and think so that I make good decisions. I can do a quality job. What may look like red-tape and slow work is actually "Doing it right the first time, so you don't have a second time". For us, lives are on the line, so we have to concentrate on providing quality not quantity. So, while my work is in project management, defining a governance process, and helping a large group of the best professionals in medicine to work within a process; I still have to concentrate on making sure that everything I do helps KFHP to be the best provider of health care in the business. It is very exciting for me to work at Kaiser, and as someone that has worked for Kaiser off and on for the past 30 years, I still find them the best of all of my many employers.

Cons

You have to be someone that is your own advocate for career advancement. You don't have much in the way of mentors because everyone is up to their ears in alligators (LOTS of work!). But that can be it's own pleasure, if you know how to handle it. I think Kaiser could provide a little more help to employees in that arena. Also, it's hard to gain credibility when your users and colleagues are all MD's and RN's. Their world is very bound in titles. So, it's hard to prove your worth to them. Then again, it is also the coolest job in the world when everyone around you is so bright. Yes, the pay is a little bit less than the outside, but between the wonderful people I work with, the great environment, and the benefits, it's worth it! All in all, for me, the downsides can be spun in my mind into opportunities - so I don't have a lot of complaints.

Advice to Management

Don't forget to listen to the rank and file. Provide a way for them to provide you with feedback and let them know that you are listening. Real examples would be good. Remember the automotive industry and quality circles? You might want to use that at KFHP. Have contests that unearth ways to reduce inefficiency and waste of budget. Reward innovation. Watch your attrition and when it looks bad in an area, address it fast.

two steps forward one step backwards

Current Employee - Contract Manager in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Contract Manager in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente

Pros

Job benefits (medical) and mission (health care) of the company. This is a non-profit company where corporate profits (greed) dominates the agenda.

Cons

The fact that the company is not profit oriented results in the company not making managerial changes which would result in a better operating company. The deadwood is slow to be cleaned out in contrast to a for profit environment. Also, the senior members of the company appear to be in their "last" jobs and just waiting till retirement. The company needs to have Sr. Managers that have a forward looking orientation that are in the "growth" mode w/ respect to their careers

Advice to Management

Do more to understand the grass roots of what is going on within my area of the company (National Facility Services).